Logo

1987 MCM 180 I4 cranks but wonbt start

4winnsdan

"Hello all. I'm a newcome

"Hello all. I'm a newcomer to the discussion group but have read many posts and am amazed by the knowledge and help you all have and give.

I was at the boat launch for the first time of the season on Saturday, sitting at the dock and all I could do was crank the engine. I'm perplexed because the previous evening I put the muffs on the outdrive and started the engine in my driveway without any problem. I'm thinking the ignition system is suspect. I believe the carb is getting fuel because I can smell it as I crank the engine.

Please advise some of the things I should check or what you might suspect could be causing this. Is it the coil? I replaced the spark plugs last summer so they've had relatively little use.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks."

check to see if you have spark

check to see if you have spark at the plugs maybe your coil wire came loose during the trip or a wire may have broken I would start there.

"If your throttle quadrant has

"If your throttle quadrant has a kill switch, check that it is on.
Check that the shift interrupt switch roller is in the V notch. Shifter in neutral?
Rod"

"Charlie and Rod, thanks for r

"Charlie and Rod, thanks for replying and the suggestions. I checked for spark last night and found none so I pulled the distributor and cleaned and reset the points. The engine fired up after that. I set the points at .016. Is this the standard setting for this engine if you know, or should they be set differently? The engine ran smooth so I think all is good.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dan"

"If you look at the valve cove

"If you look at the valve covers, there should be a sticker with tune-up specs and part numbers. If it's new enough, it may have a plastic cover on the flame arrestor."

Back