Logo

Inline 6 Mounting Question

"I purchase an Inline 6, 250 c

"I purchase an Inline 6, 250 cu. in. Chevy off of E-Bay. I knew that it may not have been a Mercruiser but for $80.00 I figured the Head was worth that. The Head has Brass Soft Plugs but it looks like the Block has Steel.
My question is about the mounting. My 1969 Mercruiser uses all four mounting bolts near the Timing Cover. The one that I bought uses two near the timing cover on the port side of the boat and uses a tab cast into the block on the starboard side near the Oil Pan. It looks like the Casting for the mount is a Mercruiser part, is this just an earlier or later year?
Normally I would not even worry about it but this Engine has between 155-160 psi Compression. I am sure that some of the parts are worth what I paid for it but it would be nice to use this Engine while I rebuild the other one.
Steve"

Steve
If you search back thro

Steve
If you search back through the posts for the last 2 months someone has been down the same track as you and they manufactured a bracket for the front mount.
They offerd to email pics to anyone who wanted them so you may do some good there if you can find the original posting.
Cheers
Peter C

I think you misunderstood me.

I think you misunderstood me. Maybe I should ask this another way; did Mercruiser always use 4 mounting bolts that go through the casting near the timing cover.
The casting I have uses another mounting tab.
Steve

"Mine has four bolts. 2 on the

"Mine has four bolts. 2 on the left of the engine, and two on the right. There is an extension piece on one side or the other. I can't recall which side it is. My engine is a '76. Hope that helps."

Back