Logo

B21 block Need help

ejbtech1

Regular Contributor
"I have posted last week about

"I have posted last week about my aq120b in my Renken. I went out today and found a 1982 Volvo 240 with an early fuel injected b21 block. I looked it over well. Appeared to be ok. I turned it over by hand and it feels as if there is compression.
I brought it home and dropped the oil pan to look at the condition of the lower end. All looks good. I degreased it and am getting ready to put a fresh coat of red paint on it.
The question I bring to this forum is what is the housing on this block that is above the starter. It appears to be some kind of crankcase ventilation, but I am not sure. This was attached to the intake by a hose. The block that I am taking out of my boat has a plate over this housing. Do I need to be concerned about this? Or should I continue with my transplant?
82519.jpg
housing

"You should be able to cover i

"You should be able to cover it with the plate, as your engine arrangement is supposed to vent through the head cover."

Is that a crankcase vent? The

Is that a crankcase vent? The other thing I noticed too is that there are two "dimples" on this block. The one in the boat just has the one closest to the starter. Can I keep this housing on the block?

That is a crankcase vent. I we

That is a crankcase vent. I went and looked at a '81 B21 I have lying around here and the vent looks the same. I'd think the marine block would be the same and that there should be cover plates for both holes or something similar.

THANKS BOB. I THOUGHT IT WAS..

THANKS BOB. I THOUGHT IT WAS........ BUT THE COVER ON MY BOAT ENGINE DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE BIG ENOUGH TO COVER BOTH "DIMPLES".
CAN I JUST PLUG THAT OPENING OFF? OR LOOK FOR A COVER?

"Hmmm, I'm rather new to t

"Hmmm, I'm rather new to the whole marine engine thing. I've got over twenty Volvo cars parked here on my property though. I just find it hard to believe that the blocks would be cast differently between marine and automotive applications. Essentially, I don't have the answer. If the boat engine has no crankcae ventilation system, I reckon it's OK to make your new engine the same as the old, doing whatever it takes to plug the holes. Have you actually taken that crankcase breather off the new engine and compared the block casting to what you have now? I'd be really interested in seeing pictures if the castings are actually different."

"I am done for the weekend....

"I am done for the weekend.....I will post more pictures of the progress though.
I think i can make this block work. it is an 82 b21. there aren't many things different about the engine. IT WILL WORK!!!!!!
Thanks BOB for the response. This boat has become a challenge!!!! but a fun one!!!!
82564.jpg
new block

Keep it there! i have an aq131

Keep it there! i have an aq131a an it has the vent from factory.

Back