Logo

Water in cylinders Merc 57L

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"Hello All,
So the money

"Hello All,
So the money pit strikes again! After getting my 4bbl carb professionally rebuilt, I was adjusting the idle mix to achieve the best mix and testing to see which mix gave me the quickest start up. Well toward the end of my time doing this, the motor hydrolocked and broke the starter. I have the old log type manifolds, the water was calm. The cylinders that had water were the back two on the port side. It was idling, I shut it off and tride to start and the starter broke. I ruled out a head gasket because I just ran it for 45 minutes. I pressure checked the exhaust manifold for leaks and I did not find anything. Is there some sort of back pressure associated with quick start and shut offs that I am overlooking? Thanks Jon"

"lower engine pressure with hi

"lower engine pressure with higher exhaust pressure, which will create a vacuum effect"

"Jon:

If you got water in t

"Jon:

If you got water in the motor that easily, you need higher risers! They sell extensions to raise them up a few inches more.

Also, you might want to take a good look at the manifold/ riser gaskets. A leak there puts water into the motor.

Jeff"

"Hi
have a 5.7l efi has done

"Hi
have a 5.7l efi has done 114 hours in first two years. then had an engine failure caused by oyster spat blocking the exhaust {prop & entry to leg}. The dealer took 6 months to sort this out, they then found water in cylinders, they say caused by back pressure.

3 years on the engine is still causing problems despite the rebuild. The main problem now is that the engine will not idle without the alarm going off.

If the rpm is raised above idle then all is ok. Every sensor has been replaced as well as the ecu.

The dealer has run out of ideas and is now suggesting to fix the problem that he replaces the electronic distributor with a standard unit and also replace the throttle body with a carb.
Bypassing the ecu.

Any body had a similar experience. Does the modification to the dist' and carb improve engone performance and what are the down side to doing this.

All comments appreciated

regards

Alan"

Back