Logo

Alpha Mercruiser water from the prop port how much should be coming

dyoungmc

I had the engine run hot. I ch

I had the engine run hot. I changed the severely damaged thermostat and to be safe replaced the impeller in the lower unit. Now it appears the thermostat opens because after a few minutes of runing water begins coming from a hole under the bell housing of the stern drive. I expected more than a light mist from the prop port however. I never looked at the amount of water from the prop exhaust before so do not have a memory guage on how much should be coming from there.

"If it is RW cooled, WATER sho

"If it is RW cooled, WATER should be coming out RIGHT AWAY. Not much exhaust water mix will come out at idle from a hose hook-up which should not be at full force. Water from the prop is what is mixed with the exhaust in the riser. The faster you go the more water for exhaust cooling. Don't worry about the prop exhaust water at idle.
Guy"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
82551.jpg

Young;
Here is a pic of my boat running on the hose not long ago. Note the hefty stream of water coming out the transom assembly ports! Yours should look something like this. Also note the small stream coming out the prop.
Like Guy said you should have water coming out within seconds (not minutes!) after startup, and sooner if the block already has water in it (not drained since last run).
If not, something is wrong.
Rod"

Talk about a picture worth a 1

Talk about a picture worth a 1000 words. I get a mist from the prop and not a stream like yours. I will check th e manifold for blockage. I do get that flow from the transom.
thanks

"Young;
Make sure you have pl

"Young;
Make sure you have plenty of water to the muffs. Contrary to what some will tell you, you cannot overpressure the cooling system using standard earmuffs. The excess water simply sprays out the sides of the rubber cups. You can see this also in the picture. It's like a built in pressure relief device.
Hope that helps,
Rod"

"Rod,
One problem with high p

"Rod,
One problem with high pressure water is that it can cause the muffs to slide off the lower unit before you get it started."

Back