Logo

Motor locked up

reron75

i have a 1981 351 inmar. try

i have a 1981 351 inmar. try to start motor and solonoid just clicks. i pulled belts off and tried to turn crank by hand.would not budge. is this motor toast.

"Pull your spark plugs and cra

"Pull your spark plugs and crank it. The motor should turn that way. It's not going to be exceptionally loose (shouldn't, anyway) but it should turn.

How about a bit of history for this boat? How long have you owned it, what is the service history, what major repairs have been done, who does the regularly scheduled service and is that done on schedule?

You can pull the starter and test it with a set of jumper cables and a car battery. Wear safety glasses and if it just sparks without spinning, it was due or wasn't properly maintained. Starters are supposed to be lubed annually."

thanks Jim for your info. The

thanks Jim for your info. The boat has been sitting for about three years inside a garage. previous owner said boat was not fogged or winterized before that. freeze plugs are still in and i dont see any cracks in the block or manifolds.

"Have a 1977 Mercruiser 6 cyl

"Have a 1977 Mercruiser 6 cyl I/O with engine stuck
from storage. Think it's a Chevy 6. What's the best way to get starter off to leverage flywheel?
Any special tools required...
Have put in Marvel Oil in cyls, but seems to be stuck.Appreciate advice."

"}I HAVE A 81 AQUASPORT 25 FT.

"}I HAVE A 81 AQUASPORT 25 FT. I HAS BEEN REPOWER APROXIMATELY 5-7 YEARS AGO BY ORIGINAL OWNER. IT HAS A CHEVY 350 WITH CENTER BOLT VALVE COVERS OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE FOUND NO WAY TO IDENTIFY THE MOTOR. THE OTHER DAY I WENT TO THE MARINA WHERE I DRY STORE THE BOAT TO GO FISHING AND IT CRANKED ABOUT 3 OR 4 REVOLUTIONS WHEN THE BATTERYS DIED. OR SO I THOUGHT. I BROUGHT EXTRA BATTERIES WITH ME JUST IN CASE AND AFTER SWITHING 2 OUT I STILL GOT NOTHING MORE THAN A FAINT CLICK WHEN I TURNED THE KEY. FINALLY I PUT A SOCKET WRENCH ON THE CRANK AND COULD NOT GET IT TO TURN AT ALL, NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT. ALL I HAD WAS A 3/8 DRIVE RATCHET BUT I AM CONCERNED THAT THE BOAT IS HYDRO LOCKED. IT RAN FINE WHEN I PUT IT UP LAST WEEK. NO WATER OR ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL. NO OIL OR WATER IN THE ANITFREEZE. IS THERE ANY SAVING IT?"

Back