Logo

Mercruiser Sterndrive wonbt come off

M

Merced Romero

"I havea 68 Larson with a Merc

"I havea 68 Larson with a Mercruiser and I am just trying to replace to U Joint Bellows. I did forward gear, mounting bolts off, ring clamps loosened and it won't slide off...I even have gotten to the point of pulling the engine. The spline released off the engine coupler no problem but stern drive still won't come loose. Hit it with Liquid Wrench and had a mechanic whack to spline a few to release the assembly and no luck...am I missiong something stupdly simple or is it frozen so badly that it is beyond me?

Thanks

Merced"

"I'm not sure what outdriv

"I'm not sure what outdrive you have, but on my Alfa 1, at each side of the drive up near the bolts are slots where you can drive a wide blade screwdriver between the two sections, and pry the sections apart to start the drive on it's way off.. It might be pretty tough if the corrosion from a leaky bellows has bonded the two together though.."

"If the splines are out of the

"If the splines are out of the coupler you must have it off part way. Check the shift linkage. Other than that, sometimes you need to get medieval with a set of pry bars. Be careful not to mar the gasket surfaces. Have a friend gently lift the tail of the drive and wiggle it while you gingerly pry. Be prepared for the weight when it comes free."

"Still no luck. I have double

"Still no luck. I have double checked the gear cable is forward. Still nothing. I have used half a can of liquid wrench at this point and it doesn't seem like it should be stuck. I can see the bearings and they have some play in them as well as the spline having play. I have read, and reread the mercruiser tech book over and over but don't see what I might be missing. Do I have to take out the split rin (retaining ring out to get the bearings out at this point? This should have been a 2 hour job to replace the u bellows...sigh."

"Merced
It is posible that th

"Merced
It is posible that the last time the leg was fitted whoever done it used a large quantity of a silicon or similar sealant around the oring seal area.
I have come across this before and as David said you will have to get out the pry bars and get a bit rough with it, you are going to have to be cruel to be kind.
Good Luck
Cheers
Peter C"

"Well..try as I might I cannot

"Well..try as I might I cannot get the sterndrive off. In fact, I have now broken off a small piece of the mounting area that the u joint bellows connects too and a part of the cowling(?) that comes off the transom before the bell housing. I give up. I now have a four cylinder 120 engine that turns over and a 68 Larson inboard hull in good shape (other than you have to get the stern drive off still) available. Guess its time to get a new boat?

Thanks for the advice though.

Merced"

"Merced
You have a manual, ha

"Merced
You have a manual, have you been able to positivly identify the type/model of the leg ?
Can you post a picture of the assembly for us ?

Peter C"

Finally back and willing to tr

Finally back and willing to try again at the boat. What I have done is taken off the sterndrive along with the gimbal housing and bell housing (since the sterndrive still wont release) I did note that the drive cable is worn and the outer cable casing is broken and sheared slightly. The sterndrive still won't come off the assembly though. I will try and post a pic of the whole caboodle soon.

Back