Logo

Electrical Dead in the water

dave_schneider

"This is Dave (anti siphon

"This is Dave (anti siphon) valve) and unfortunately I am back. Put the boat in after all my fuel problems, ran it around for over a hour,ran great. Docked it,cranked it over just to make sure everything was ok and it was dead. No electrical. Thought that was odd, tried again and started right up. Went to bed.

Went out this morning,tooling around for over an hour on the lake and then it died. All electrical,no accessories; radio, lights, horn, no engine cranking, nothing. Dead in the water with twenty-five mph winds. Great. Re-did battery connections, checked a couple breakers that I could see on the engine, checked safety switch, went high tech and started to wiggle ever wire there was. Nothing. Luckily a nice fellow towed me in. Got to the dock after an hour and of course it started right up. aaarrrgggggggg

Now I have the worst problem in that I cannot trust the boat anymore. Where in the world do I start. What would kill all electrical power and then work fine?

I had five years of problem free boating with this boat and now it looks like I am going to have an "off" year.
Thanks for your help."

I had same problem. Mine was a

I had same problem. Mine was a loose wire connect the master fuse on the engine.

"Check that there is ground be

"Check that there is ground between the engine and the (-) of the battery; and also that the battery isolation switch is in good condition (wire connections, etc). And as David suggested, make sure that the automatic switch has not tripped and that the connectors are tight and clean (free of rust).

Don't despair, only so may things can go wrong with a boat at the time. I believe you have many trouble-free years of boating ahead of you once you sort this one out.
biggrin.gif
"

"Well I think I finally figure

"Well I think I finally figured out the problem.

With the engine running and enough wiggling of wires I could replicate a complete shutdown of the electrical system. One by moving the unit the red wire comes into and two by moving what looks like a harness/bundle of wires. See picture.

Darkness fell so I will continue tomorrow but my question is what is the purpose of the part with the main red wire coming into it. Looks like some type of splitter/distribution piece. Also am I going to find a plugin in the harness or just a mass of wires. I have added a picture, I hope it shows up. The screw drivers point to the two parts that are causing the problem.
Thanks agin for your help. By the end of the summer I will be able to tear down this engine blindfolded.

82726.jpg
electrical Problem

"I thing you could use some &#

"I thing you could use some "Corrosion Guard" or "Fluid Film" on your engine; especially around the wiring connections.
biggrin.gif
"

Back