Logo

Risermanifold inspection

ocoocher

Contributing Member
"I'm about to pull the exh

"I'm about to pull the exhaust risers in my "AQ255A" and have a few questions I'd really like some opinions on. I got 20 yrs and 1670 hrs out of original one-piece manifolds. The last 12 yrs included 2 wks to 2 mos./yr in salt water (flushed very well when hauled and stored on trl). In '98 I replaced the block and in stalled new 2-piece riser manifolds. Have since used total of 230 hrs, with 2 mos./yr in saltwater.

#1- Is inspection worth doing (with soaking in diluted (how much?) muriatic? Gas pressure testing worthwhile? OR
#2- Should I just replace both risers and manifolds now? (or maybe just risers since they usually fail first?)
#3-Anyone know if results with ceramic coated manifolds?"

"life expectancy for salt wate

"life expectancy for salt water manifolds is 3 years. you have nearly 10 on yours. time to replace. not cheap, but better than ruining engine.
p.s. where is the salt water in wisconsin?"

"Thnaks Scott. I use boat &#4

"Thnaks Scott. I use boat (25' Tiara) mostly on Great Lakes, but trailer it to Key West for a couple mos. each winter."

"The Sierra manifolds are for

"The Sierra manifolds are for that model are part 18-1931-1

Application guide here.

We haven't seen enough evidence of the quality to the GLM manifolds to choose to sell them yet."

"Thanks Andrew, I have pulled

"Thanks Andrew, I have pulled the risers and plan to replace them and manifolds. On one riser/manifold there were some drops of rusty water in the exhaust-only passages of riser and manifold. I'll look more when I pull the manifolds. It's been running fine and I don't see any signs of riser to manifold gasket failure, but I did see a very little water leakage on outside of riser/manifold. Do the newer, blue Sierra gaskets that use no cement or sealer work well, ie, not leak?"

Back