Logo

Manifold Riser Bolt Tricks

jrsweny

"Any tricks or suggestions for

"Any tricks or suggestions for Manifold & Riser bolt removal? If it matters It is a 1993 boat with a 350 Chevy block. 5.7L Mercruiser. They are the originals so I expect trouble.

Thanks All, JRS"

"If the paint is intact, it ma

"If the paint is intact, it may not be so bad but I have seen several versions of "not bad". I would at least use something to rap on them to break them free. If tehre is a break in teh paint, I have had good results from PB Blaster, as a penetrant. Steady force or low torque impact is good, too."

Like Jim said; PB Blaster--scr

Like Jim said; PB Blaster--scrape away the paint from the edge of each bolt and make several applications over several days while tapping each bolt head with a small hammer; alot of patience doesn't hurt.

"STOP!! Here's the Certif

"STOP!! Here's the Certified, Fastjeff Marine and RV manifold removal procedure:

1. DO NOT try to unscrew the bolts! If rusty, they will snap off in the head.

2. Take a mini-grinder (4 1/2 inch angle grinder--Harbor Freight 40 bucks) and grind the heads off the bolts. (Alternative: Drill the heads off by centerpunching and progressively drilling larger holes until the head falls off.)

3. With the heads off, slide the manifolds off. That might require using wedges.

4. Blast the studs with penetrating oil and let them sit overnight.

5. Clamp Vise-Grips to the studs and work them out. Sometimes that requires back and forth turning until they co-operate.

Do all of the above and you'll be fine, but try to unscrew the bolts, snap one off, and it's heads to the machine shop time.

Jeff"

"Gentemen,

I heard some

"Gentemen,

I heard some good ideas but the last one was bingo!!!! Is he correct in stating that a broken bolt would requier Head removal? I have taken out broken bolts before but I don't look forward to doing it on my Heads. Ah... Jeff do you have a part number for the grinder?

Thanks John"

Back