Logo

Omc water circulation

J

jimrubicon

"I have a 1988 chev. small blo

"I have a 1988 chev. small block 5.7 v-8 with an omc cobra outdrive. I just replaced the exhaust manifold and elbows, impeller and had the power steering cooler repaired. there are no longer water leaks but there is no water comming out of the exhaust relief or the propeller hub when testing on land with the ears and a garden hose. i only ran it for about 3-5 minutes for fear of it overheating. the garden hose was set to about 1 to 1 1/2 gallon a minute. is it possible all the corrosion and other crap from the rusted exhaust manifold i replaced has clogged the (water) outgoing system. A BIG thanks to any knowledgable person responding. jim"

First of all take the hose fro

First of all take the hose from the power steering cooler where it attaches to the t-stat housing and remove that when you have the garden hose running and the engine running to see if you have water flow up to there incase you have a blockage on the input side.

"Thanks bob for the advice. I

"Thanks bob for the advice. I made the mistake of rolling the rubber gasket on the impeller housing when I replaced that, so I never acheived vaccum and therefore water pressure. I removed the hose comming out of the power steering cooler and now have water ciculation.
QUESTION: Is it o.k. to have most of the outgoing water comming out of the bottom of the outdrive instead of the propeller hub or the "idle exhaust relief" port?"

"I think he is talking about r

"I think he is talking about right at the zinc plate. Mine does the same, never comes out the prop exhaust and bellow is new, why? Does it switch to the prop exhaust when running at speed in the water?"

"Steve, thanks for the reply.

"Steve, thanks for the reply.
Yes I am talking about the water discharging right at the zinc plate. I finally put it in the water and the engine temp gauge is saying about 175-180. and the engine sounds good to me!I like the boat but it's a 1988, only has 181 hours on it but yet it's been through 3 shift cables, one complete exhaust manifold system, impeller, and a lower drive unit besides regular maintenance.
Jim"

"Hi Jim, your welcome. Your bo

"Hi Jim, your welcome. Your boat sounds like mine. Mine is an 87, bought it first of the year. Had just been a complete new engine with 8 hours and everything new put in it because the owners said they didn't know to flush it after running it in salt water. I will never use it in salt water! Only thing I had to replace my bottom lower unit and adjust everything because the cluth dog would grind some from the cables being out of adjustment so long and was worn out. So far is running like a top. Thought the only thing I might do later on is change to electronic ignition. Hopefully for now on is just the regular oil changes and tune ups. I was wondering if it is a good idea to drain the exhaust manifolds each time after use so they don't rust inside? I hear a lot about them rusting out. Hope we both can enjoy them now on the water! Good luck."

Back