Logo

1988 Yamaha 8 hp keeps seizing am in trouble

• Thread starter Richard Goshgarian
  • Start date
R

Richard Goshgarian

"Hello- I went to you use my m

"Hello- I went to you use my motor the other day and when I went to pull the rip chord, I found that it was completely jammed. I couldn't turn the flywheel or prop with the plugs out (seized). I was able to break the seize by cranking on the flywheel with a socket and it seemed to work fine. Someone told me it was probably leaking water in cylinder and that it's going to keep seizing. He said water somes through the powerhead seal or option 2, through the cooling channel and in that case, throw it away. I know very little about engines and I can't really afford to bring this to a mechanic. I am mechanically inclined so with a little direction, i think I can handle this. I guess I am supposed to try to remove the powerhead (not even sure what that is) to see if the seal is bad. Is this true and can anyone give tell me how to do this? I just tried starting it again 4 days later to see if would sieze again and it did only not ask bad. I really forced the flywheel to move a few times and then it became easy. I really hope this motor (which I only had for about 2 months) isn't junk. Any help would much appreciated!
Rich"

"Thank you for the advise and

"Thank you for the advise and randomly enough, i just did that about an hour ago. However, something very wierd happend. I heard it spilling on the floor and I thought I was spilling it but it was coming out of a little hole near the lower unit (on the front side of the motor). The hole looks like it's supposed to be there. It's right on the edge of the motor (lower unit) and it goes right through. Does that sound bad?
Thanks"

"yes, it's turning over fi

"yes, it's turning over fine now but I suspect that in 1-week or less it's going to be stiff again (as if it's rusting inside). After I got it turn last week it became very easy again but then slowing got hard. Regarding the exhaust, I can see two exhaust holes on the backside of my motor but I am talking about a little hole on the front side (closest to the boat). I looked in my operators manual and it doesn't show or mention that little hole. I am not sure if it's supposded to be there or not. Should I take a picuture? THanks again for your hlep."

"Ok well I took a few pictures

"Ok well I took a few pictures (maybe too many). Before I describe the pictures I want say that I the flywheel stiffened up again but not quite as bad. I really had to force it (but with my hands) and after a few turns it was ok. I put more mystery oil and it certainly started pouring out of that little hole that i have illustrated in two of the attached pictures. The hole looks like it's supposed to be there. I don't think its ,exhaust (but I know nothing) but I have exhaust holes on the opposite side of the motor and there are pictures of that as well. Now if you conclude that coolant or something is leaking in my motor and I need to take the whole thing apart, could you please point out which component is the powerhead. It sounds dumb but I wouldn't even know what bolts to loosen. I attached pics with numbers on them so you could refer to certain areas without much explanation. Thank you very much for your help. Oh, I think the oil leaked out of my prob too but there is a chance that it dribbled all teh way down there from the top but I don't think so. ALSO, I HAVE TO SEPARATE THE PICTURES IN POSTINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE LARGE.

THANK YOU AGAIN
82645.jpg
SMALL HOLE"">
82646.jpg
zoom out of hole

"side of engine<[img]"http://w

"side of engine
82653.jpg
right side of engine"">
82654.jpg
left side engine

Back