Logo

Stalls in reverse

hoseman

Contributing Member
"hello I have a 130 merc. alph

"hello I have a 130 merc. alpha 1 and when i go to reverse it will stall if you try to take it past an idle(it is fine if at an idle ) is there a safety switch or some thing that needs adjusted? The other thing was when the outdrive is in full in position it seems to make a grumble noise when turning to left and right ,if you raise the out drive it seems to help it and even goes away(is it the gimble bearing? or does some thing need greased? ty for all your help Darrin"

"If your engine has a shift in

"If your engine has a shift interrupt switch it may need adjusted.On my 5.0 liter,you put throttle in full reverse then spin prop to engage gears.Look at position of switch, it should be centered in cam."

"There is a shift interrupt sw

"There is a shift interrupt switch in the shift mechanism that momentarily kills your spark when you shift out of either forward or reverse.
The bracket is likely mounted on your exhaust manifold and has cables running to it. Look in the middle area for a microswitch that has a lever with a roller on the end. The roller should normally be in the center V notch.
Start the engine and shift it into gear. When it quits check the switch roller. If not centered, that's your problem.
You either need to adjust the shift linkage or have the lower shift cable replaced. It may be stiff and this will cause the above problem.
The grumbling noise is likely a bad gimbal bearing or bad U joints. Drive leg needs to come off to assess problem. You should get yourself a manual; I think you're going to need it.
Rod"

Back