Logo

Will not come out of the hole

D

David Hillyer

I have a 1987 22' Velocity

I have a 1987 22' Velocity with a 454 alpha SS. I am unable to get the boat to "get out of the hole" and plane when four people are in it. (with 2 in front bolsters and two in rear seat) This didn't use to be a problem. Once on plane it has no problem hitting the maximum RPMS recommended. This boat has just over 200 hours on it and spends most of the time in a garage. The prop is the orignal stainless steel model with a 25 inch pitch. By having one person leave the back seat and walk to the front it will get on plane so that they can return to their seat. The trim and tilt system is fully operational. Any ideas?

"How long ago was the Last Tun

"How long ago was the Last Tune Up,..??
How about the last Fuel Filter change,..??"

Are you kidding! That thing s

Are you kidding! That thing should toss anyone standing up over the stern when you juice it! Gotta be some major problem going on there.

Jeff

"No water in the bilge, it sta

"No water in the bilge, it stays dry and the boat is never kept in the water...both of the fuel filters were just changed...last tune up was about 25 hours ago. Idles great. No bottom paint and the bottom is clean. Thanks for your thoughts."

"1987...has just over 200

"1987...has just over 200 hours on it and spends most of the time in a garage" That correlates to about 10 hrs/year use. "last tune up was about 25 hours ago" or 2-3 years ago.

A recent post found that a "two year old tuneup" was the problem. Plug wires were breaking down and dist. ignition parts failed. Perhaps it is time to revisit the "recent tuneup" including a compression check of each cylinder.
Guy

You are not far off on your ti

You are not far off on your time line. The tuneup was performed in the summer of 05. If the wires were bad wouldn't I have other symptoms such as a miss or failure to acheive maximum rpms? The compression test is probably necessary and I if I had to bet I would guess that it will show some low numbers. I was hopeful that there might be some other obvious solution that I hadn't considered. Thanks again

"David;
Have you considered a

"David;
Have you considered adding a hydro-foil or similar (marketed under many names) to your drive leg? These are a great little add-on that basically give your drive leg a bunch of lift when the drive is trimmed fully in during initial start. They really help to get the boat, any boat, quickly onto plane. They are a great gadget for the price.
Just a thought.
Rod"

"A slight miss isn't alway

"A slight miss isn't always as noticeable on a marine engine compared to an automobile. I use a spray bottle with water to mist the ignition components one at a time and watch for the engine to stumble. You can check the plug wires wih an ohmmeter. If they are more than 5 years old and somewhat stiff and dirty, I would change them using a set of quality marine use rated plug wires. Same thing goes for the cap and rotor--inspect for corrosion and carbon tracking. Replace if original. Look at the optic sensor for rust and replace it if rusted. RESET TIMING.
Guy"

"Just a thought, but I assume

"Just a thought, but I assume it is carbuerated? Check to see if your four barrell is opening. Sounds short on power and if it vacuum advance, may be stuck closed!

Jack"

Jack:
Excellent point; sure

Jack:
Excellent point; sure slipped my mind. I need some sleep and time on the water. I thought I was retired but am working longer hours at home than I did on the job. Jeff was right when he told me I'd hate weekends and now I hate week days too. Guy

Back