Logo

Transom question

blaineelstrott

I recently recieved an older 1

I recently recieved an older 17 footer with a good running 120 in it. My question is about the transom. I found that the wood is in really poor shape back there as well as the floor. How important is it for the transom wood to be in great shape (i know on outboards this is the most critical..not sure on inboards) I was planning on just doing a quick fix on the floor and use it til it dies. Thanks

"umm... i don't think that

"umm... i don't think that would be a good idea if the transom is really in poor shape. it is very important for this to be solid. if it is weak and you try running it until it dies as you state, then your passenger's and you will be in great harm because you could break the transom and sink very easily and quickly, not to mention the cleanup that would have to take place after such an event... if in doubt then i wouldn't do it. you can fix this however, many on here are going to tell you it is very time consuming if you tackle it yourself and everything has to be just right for it to work in the end."

Get some professional advice b

Get some professional advice before you risk your life and others. If the vessel sinks or becomes partially flooded you could also have an environmental disaster on your hands!
Steve

"Mercruiser Outdrive Also Push

"Mercruiser Outdrive Also Push on the Transom,....
Just like an Outboard......

The Transom also keeps the Engine,+ Outdrive aligned......"

"blaineelstrott:

I have p

"blaineelstrott:

I have personally gutted a 19' 1987 Baretta down to the hull and replaced all the rotted floor and stringers while paying a professional to pull the engine and OD and replace the entire transom for $1,000. All of the wood was treated with Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealant CPES after it was cut and fitted. Then all of it was fiberglassed in place. Also replaced the fuel tank and rotted fuel fill and vent hoses that were leaking into the floatation foam. All of the foam was waterlogged and had to be removed. It was labor intensive and a nasty job. The epoxy and fiberglass cloth for the job was just under $1,000 and the lumber about $100. Stainless steel fasteners about $100 and the fuel tank and hoses $300. I also rewired the entire boat including gauges, switches and breakers due to corrosion for $350 in materials. Add it all up; $2,850 and the boat is still a 1987. Add labor cost given to me by a marina @ $2,500 and we're up to $5,350. I am not going to include the cost of the new carpet, seats and interior work I did and cushions I had redone professionally. Things continue to breakdown on old boats.

I am telling you this because it is a great project to undertake if you enjoy getting down and dirty to preserve an old boat. You'll need a big bank account since it is a money pit with its mouth open every time you turn around.

My strong advice is to find a solid boat with a blown engine and make the swap of your engine and OD. Guy"

"Thanks guys for your advice.

"Thanks guys for your advice. Taking into account everything I am hearing, I think its time to cut my losses before I really incur any. Right now im only 4 spark plugs into the project. Its funny how you can get a "free boat" and still feel like you got hosed! Thanks again everyone."

Back