Logo

Detroit Diesel 451 marine model 43200 RH

L

Larry Goodson

"am picking up a 451 diesel to

"am picking up a 451 diesel today. Until last night, I thought it was a 53 series. The model number is 43200 RH serial number:4C-2411. 1953 motor. No valves. Installed in a wooden boat which is being parted out. I had intended to install it in a 25' boat and thought it was a 4-53. Should I avoide this unusual engine? Are there parts available? I have read that the exhaust is sensative to back pressure. Makes sense with no valves. Any written material out there?"

"STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT TH

"STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT THING AS POSSABLE, THERE ARE NO PARTS AND NO BOOKS"

"Well, the 451 is sitting in t

"Well, the 451 is sitting in the back of my pick up truck. I took the exhaust manifold off of the block (yes, off of the block) and wet the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil. It turns better now with a long pipe wrench. Marvin probably is correct that I should stay as far away as possible from this crazy engine. Rick, in the yahoo Detroit Diesel group, mentions that he runs his DD 451 at the county fair! Fortunately, Marine Engine.com sells the operation manual which I will buy at some point. Others write online that the 451 true two stroker with no valves has one of the best sounds of any diesel ever! Any more input before I sell this engine to a museum or a collector?

Larry"

Back