Logo

Yahama 200 salt water series coughs and spits

jackspivey2

Contributing Member
"Ok, just went out on my dad&#

"Ok, just went out on my dad's Ocean Star 250 catamaran with twin 200 hp yamaha 2 stroke salt water series motors. I believe they are 1995 model. Both motors are a little hard to start the first start. We usually use a little starter fluid and then they are fine after that. The problem we are having is with the starboard motor. It seems to have a miss in it all through the rpms. We changed plugs and found one that was black and looked worse than the other 5. thought that was the problem. Took it out yesterday and still the same. At idle it will try to idle at about 600 rpm then get rough and cough/spit and die. At cruise speed, It seems to be running ok, but then it will clean up and run strong (pick up about 2-300 rpm) and then fall back. Almost like one or two cylinders start firing and then die. It's very noticable when it happens and I am thinking it may be a coil pack or something. The boat sat for about 2 years prior to this happening. Should I be looking into the carbs? Also on the power pack there is a mometary switch located on the upper port side. Any idea what that switch does? Any help would be greatly appreciated!"

"Jack,
Start with a compressi

"Jack,
Start with a compression test and then a spark test. Spark should jump a 11mm gap, comps should all be over 100psi.If thats ok, remove the airbox, start the engine and look for the culprit, I think you may have a carb that is flooding."

Back