Logo

1988 mercruser37lx no power at coil

cskiplite

I have a 3.7lx that has no pow

I have a 3.7lx that has no power at the coil if I connect a jumper from the battery to the coil she starts up. and if I back feed the coil from the other engines coil she starts. I replaced the slave selonoid figuring that was the problem but still no power to the coil any suggestions.

There's two very common po

There's two very common possibilites:
- The shift interupt switch on the throttle linkage is broken or severely out of adjustment.
- or -
- The safety kill switch is in the 'kill' position.

I spent many an hour troubleshooting the second one mentioned... turns out I bumped it with my arse while I was scrubbing the deck.

I just rebuilt the engine ever

I just rebuilt the engine everything was fine before removal I noticed a wire missing from the negative side that goes to the shift interupt switch would that cause the problem?

"I assume it's carbureted.

"I assume it's carbureted.
You can test the interrupt switch with a volt-ohmeter or a test light. It should be open circuit when the roller is centered in the large V notch, and closed circuit when out of the notch.
When in neutral or fully in either forward or reverse the roller shud be in the notch. For just an instant when you shift out of gear it comes out of the notch and shorts the points out, thereby briefly killing the engine, so the shift dogs can easily disengage in the drive leg."

"Troy;
I can sympathize with

"Troy;
I can sympathize with your kill switch episode. A few years ago I spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what was wrong with my 4.3 after a youngster with busy fingers tripped the switch. When I finally figured out what was wrong, no one would admit to anything of course! Oh well, at least it wasn't an expensive fix.
Now the kill switch is the first thing I check whenever a boat mysteriously won't start.
Rod"

where is the kill switch locat

where is the kill switch located? I have 1988 26 foot celebrity crownline. and don't see a kill switch anyware. just ignition switch.and the usual fuses which all check out fine I also have power thru the engine circut breakers. just no power to the coil

"I fit has one, it will be on

"I fit has one, it will be on the mounting bracket (flange) for the throttle."

"Charlie;
Yours may not have

"Charlie;
Yours may not have one. They started being common in the early 90's say about 1992 and later. The idea is you hook a lanyard with a curly cord around your wrist then to the kill switch. If you should mysteriously get thrown overboard (too much partying?), the kill switch gets shut off, and the boat will come to rest. I've never actually seen anyone wear one of these, certainly on an inland lake at least, but that's the idea.
Rod"

ok thanks I'll rty testing

ok thanks I'll rty testing the interupter switch and go from there
I will update as soon as I get her running corectly and let you know what the problem was please keep the thread going maybee some one else has had this problen
Charlie

"Charlie; I don't think it

"Charlie; I don't think it would be your inerrupt switch, as long as it's centered in the V notch. It sounds like yours is disconnected on one side anyway, so it won't kill your ignition no matter what, even when it should, as there is no way for it to close the circuit.
Rod"

"hhhmmmmm gonna have to start

"hhhmmmmm gonna have to start chasing wires boy how I love doing that
uhoh.gif
"

Have you got the right wiring

Have you got the right wiring diagram for the engine? This would make it a lot simpler to be chasing wires. You just have to find where the +12 volts ends.
One thing to check is the round 10 pin connector at the engine harness. Sometimes the pins get a white corrosion crap on them and lose contact. It is probably something simple like that. I would check for +12 volt in the ignition circuit at the 10 pin plug first.
Rod

Thanks to all for your help. I

Thanks to all for your help. I found a bad circuit breaker under the dash that someone had mickey moused in line buried behind the steering cable and the steering wheel looks like it shorted out against the steering wheel mount.
but at least it was found and repaired properly.
fortunatly the wiring diagram that was sent had the instrument cluster in there and made my life a bit easier.
again thanks for everyones input
Charlie

Back