Logo

Help Merc 30 wonbt turn off wkeyHey at least she started

mikem40

Any ideas? or likely areas to

Any ideas? or likely areas to look for? I had replaced a terminal on the purple wire to the coil b4 starting. Its the same alt. the belt was a bit loose. Pulled the coil wire to stop it
TIA Mike

Check your ignition switch. I

Check your ignition switch. I just had a similar problem yerterday. I unplugged my coil wire just to turn over the engine without starting it in order to check something and the starter would not stop spinning after I shut off the ignition. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the starter from engaging and eventually determined it was a faulty ignition switch. If the switch is shorted out it may stay hot even after you turn the key off therefore not allowing you to shut off the engine. How did you kill the engine?

"Recheck your wire connections

"Recheck your wire connections on the switch. If it still does not shut off, the coil is getting 12 volts from some source. With electronic ignition, trace the coil + side wire to the starter and look for a chafed spot in the wire at the starter or some corrosion between the red wire and the purple w/yellow stripe wire.
Guy"

Back