Logo

Starting Engine on Trailer

J

Jeff Hart

Just realized I asked this que

Just realized I asked this question on another persons post SORRY kind of new at this.

I have a Gray 327 in a 1961 Lyman Hardtop. Want to tune the engine on it's trailer. I have purchased a toilet type plunger that has a garden hose attachment which supplies water to the intake on the bottom of the boat. I am hearing that the hose pressure in this system can damage your engine by forcing water into the cylinders??? Can't see how that can happen unless the water released into the exhaust got sucked back up to the exhaust valves.
Seems to me as long as I have the proper decline on the exhaust that wouldn't happen and this system should not cause any problems.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experience on this subject

"Jeff, although I have not sta

"Jeff, although I have not started my 225 since a rebuild I am guessing that the check valves in the exhaust manifolds should keep the water from backing up into the valves/cyls. There are nylon type spring loaded check valves that if they are not full of rust and other contaminants should work fine.
Cal"

"caution Jeff...I have a 61 Ly

"caution Jeff...I have a 61 Lyman 215 V8 and hooked it up as you suggest under pressure. It took 3 oil changes to get the water out of the crankcase. So, I put a 1" T joint in the intake line on the engine side of the water intake valve with a 3/4' garden tap and ran a hose into a plastic garbage can set on the fender. The engine pumps from the can when the intake valve is closed. The water level in the can is maintained with a garden hose and adjustable nozzle. It has worked just fine, no water in the oil. I also tried it catching the exhaust water in the can before the outside taps were on and it worked fine as well...until the water gets too hot of course."

Back