Logo

Correct idle mixture

bhale5

How do I correctly set the fue

How do I correctly set the fuel\air mix on a mercruiser 165 2bbl carb? thanks. Bryan

"Try this: With it fully warme

"Try this: With it fully warmed up and idling in forward (tied to the dock) at about 700 RPM; slowly screw one adjustment screw in (CW) until it noticably slows down or stumbles. Then back it out (CCW) about 1/2 turn. Repeat on the other screw.
Check to see that it does not bog or stumble as you slowly advance the throttle off idle. If so, open each about another 1/2 turn CCW.
Rod"

"The 2bbl mercarb only has one

"The 2bbl mercarb only has one mixture screw. It's the one on the front, near the base.
Procedure is as Rod stated:
- Warm the engine.
- Put the throttle in neutral. If it won't idle in neutral, open the throttle a little to keep it running about 700rpm. Set the idle speed stop screw on the throttle linkage to match the throttle position. You should be able to pull the throttle back to neutral now.
- Adjust the idle mixture screw (either direction) to achieve the smoothest, highest RPM.
- Readjust the idle speed stop to get back to 700ish.
I've talked with folks that were pretty insistant about adjusting the idle speed with the boat in the water and in forward at idle. If it wants to bog down when you put it in gear at idle, just re-adjust the idle speed stop as Rod mentions, but at that point you should be done with idle mixture."

"Thanks for that correction Tr

"Thanks for that correction Troy; I did not know that carb only has one idle mixture screw.
Cheers,
Rod"

"I appreciate the info.Worked

"I appreciate the info.Worked like a charm.By the way if you guys check back,what's your opinion of the merc inline 6.Seems pretty reliable but has some age on it.thanks again.Bryan"

You're very welcome... tur

You're very welcome... turns out I've very recently become more knowledgable on the 2 bbl mercarb than I had ever wanted to be!
No experience on the in-line 6.

Back