Logo

Changing fluid in sterndrive 30 omc cobra

W

worried

"I changed the fluid in my omc

"I changed the fluid in my omc sterndrive a week ago, after reading the stuck screw post on here. It has me a little worried. I did not pump it thru the bottom hole until it came out the middle screw, then keep filling to the dipstick had a reading. I did however remove top screw (check plug) then removed bottom screw so it would drain, then removed middle screw. Anyway i drained all gear oil out. When finished draining i replaced the bottom screw, then started pumping in new fluid into middle screw, after 64oz. i removed the hose and replaced the middle screw, then checked the level on top with the dipstick. Checked good. But i am wondering if i have a airpocket somewhere in there after reading the stuck screw post. Should i just drain and refil the proper way to be safe or is there a way to make sure the air has been purged out ?"

"You'll be fine, I always

"You'll be fine, I always do mine the same way and have never had a problem in 17 years. If it's been a week go ahead and check it again on the dipstick, I usually try to check miner the next day incase a little bit settles overnight but I have never had to top it up again."

"When i bought the boat the gu

"When i bought the boat the guy also included a clymer repair manual with it, i have tried my best to follow the instructions that it gives.And the way i described is what it said to do in the book. But it always helps having advice from posters on this site. Bob thanks again, my mind is at ease now. And again dont stop postin !
Thanks
88 fourwinns / Anthony"

"I'm assuming you have a C

"I'm assuming you have a Cobra. The proper way to fill a Cobra drive is, once its drained, you reinstall the bottom screw. Then you fill from the middle plug until it reaches the mark on the stick on the top plug.

The reason for this is because there is a large cavity at the front of the lower unit that the shift rod passes through. Coincidently, this cavity holds about the same amount of lube as the upper. What will happen when you fill from the bottom is, eventually the air trapped in that cavity will purge, and will fill with oil draining your upper, and smoking your bearings and probably your gears too.

Cobra's, clutch dog King Cobras always fill from the middle. Cone clutch Kings, and SX Cobras fill from the bottom.

Mr. B"

"thanks for that information m

"thanks for that information mr boatwrench, i will keep that in mind if i ever buy a bigger boat with a king or sx drive in it.
thanks again"

Back