Logo

Might have the known lower shift cableESA problem 1989 OMC 43 Cobra

carsten

"I might actually have the kno

"I might actually have the known Lower Shift cable problem and or a faulty ESA.
I am buying an old 1989 Sunbird Eurosport bowrider -very cheap but with a problem!. The seller said that he resently got a new universal joint installed, and claims that ever since the shifting in gear seams to be staining the engine so much that it often stalls.
The dealership that did the repair just went out of business, so it's impossible to get them to take a look (or warranty their repair). The seller says that he expect that the universal joint is installed way too tight - but after reading internet forums on this OMC Cobra outdrive - it seams that this problem could easily be linked to the lower shift cable and or the ESA.

Opinions?

I am considering to do these adjustments myself, of course equiped with the OMC repair manual and Hastings recommendations - do you have to be (very) mechanical skilled to jump into such work?

Any special tools needed?"

If the OMC manual is an OMC fa

If the OMC manual is an OMC factory manual and you have Stuarts info you should be OK. For tools I would recommend you also borrow/rent or buy an engine alignment tool especially if that gimbal bearing was changed. You can find them on ebay quite often most of them will do both OMC and Mercruiser.

Back