Logo

Hydraulic Ram Oil Color

"Yesterday, while changing my

"Yesterday, while changing my outdrive oil on my 92 Alpha One 3.0, I was searching to see if I had an outdrive oil reservoir inside the boat (this is a new boat for me). In the process, I found a reservoir for the hydraulic ram oil for the trim rams. The fluid level in the reservoir was within normal levels but I couldn't help but notice the color of the hydraulic oil color being what I considered odd. It was milky in color with a very slight green tint to it. There were no swirls, or fluid color separations, just what I thought was an odd color.

Is this the normal color for this hydraulic fluid or perhaps I have a water leak in my rams somewhere?

Thanks."

"Normal color for the trim sys

"Normal color for the trim system oil is a darkish clear brown; definitely not milky green. It sounds like someone may have topped it off with drive leg gear lube, and it sounds like it may have water in it, which is decidedly not good.
Can you notice any oil weeping from the trim ram seal end caps, where the shiny rods exit the rams? If so, then water can also be getting in there. This is about the only place this system can leak, other than a blown hose.
You should completely drain all oil and refill with fresh Merc trim system oil, then watch it and see what happens. You can disconnect one or two of the small flex hoses right at the trim cylinders and pump the old oil out that way. You don't need to worry about bleeding the system once full, it is self-bleeding.
Rod"

"No, no oil leaking from the r

"No, no oil leaking from the rams.

I too am only under the assumption that this is the trim reservoir due to the large pump attached to this reservoir that has two lines attached to it that say "In" and "Out". The lines lead directly to the outdrive.

Unless there is something else back there that requires a reservoir and a large pump attached to it that I am just not familiar with?

I'm still searching for an original service manual for this old 92 Starcraft to be certain.
In the mean time, I'll take a digital photo and post it tonight.

Thanks."

"What you describe can only be

"What you describe can only be the trim oil pump and reservoir. Pump is cylindrical, black, mounted vertically on top of translucent whitish oil reservoir, right? The pump shud have a decal on it saying "SAE J1171 MARINE"."

That is exactly it.

OK.

That is exactly it.

OK. I'll drain the white oil and replace it with the right stuff and see what happens.

You guys are the best!

Back