Logo

Boat wonbt plane

skitch

"I have a 1979 19' EBKO CO

"I have a 1979 19' EBKO COBRA V8 305, 228HP. The guy I bought it off of changed it to a THUR HULL EXHAUST, am I losing power because of that or can it be something else?"

"The thru hull exhausts are ve

"The thru hull exhausts are very low restriction, and should give you max available power (not to mention a bunch of noise). What are the symptoms?
What prop is on it? What is the boat weight. If is is over-propped, it will be a dog out of the hole.
Rod"

With 228 Hp+ that thing ou

With 228 Hp+ that thing out to jump out of the water. My guess is consistant with Rod's... way too much prop.

"I want to say the prop size i

"I want to say the prop size is 14 x 17, with 2 of us on the boat it goes upto 3200 rpms, with 4 it goes 2200 rpms. The boats weight i would say is about 2,500 max. Do you think it could be the spark plugs or something else that the guy before me might have not hooked up right?"

"17" does not sound like t

"17" does not sound like too much prop by any means. You may want to confirm that pitch. It should be stamped on the hub between 2 of the blades.
If its not the prop, then you need to research the engine. I would start with checking the plugs, compression, timing, and the usual stuff. You might want to check the fuel filters and change them anyway; also check the fuel pump pressure at the carb.
If none of that helps then the next suspects would be ignition wires, rotor, cap, coil. Lastly would be check/rebuild the carb.
Rod"

"Does the boat have the origin

"Does the boat have the original outdrive?
Gear ratio may the issue, assuming the engine is working correctly."

Back