Logo

1974 INLINE 6 ONLY GETS HALF POWER AT FULL THROTTLE

nate

I have a 1974 mercrusier 165 i

I have a 1974 mercrusier 165 inline 6 this has a rebuilt carb and new fuel pump the engine runs fine until there is a load on the engine then it only gets about 3/4 or less power and short burst up and down. The carb adjustment (plastic on side) has not been toutched but iI played with the bottom 2 screws on the carb all suggestions would be appreicated

The book wot says to prop for

The book wot says to prop for 4200 I think. The tach is not working right now. I just purchased this boat and have no info on it. This boat ran fine for about 30 miniutes earlier this year then while running it lost power so I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump (the oil was full of gas)tested it out with "earmuffs" and it seemed to run fine with no load in netural. I launched it to test it and chewed up the 15x17 pitch prop
the boat ran at about half power with the damaged prop. Can this cause a drop in rpms? I need help choosing the correct replacement prop
The boat is a 18ft fiberglass bowrider I mostly use it at 7000-8000 feet above sea level and useally carry about 600 lbs pf people (I am 6'6" and about 300 lbs myself) I would like this boat to pull me on skis if it can -lol

"A chewed up prop will most de

"A chewed up prop will most definitely cause a loss in performance. 17" pitch sounds about right for that boat and motor combo.
You might be a little shy on power for single ski starts (depends how long you can hold your breath!), but doubles no problem.
You shud get your tach fixed ASAP so you have some idea where you are at.
Rod"

thanks for the info!!! This cu

thanks for the info!!! This current buggered prop
has a 4 spline rubber type insert and a 15 spline brass sleave it fits on would I need to buy a new hub kit also or just the prop I really dont understand what I need because most sites say you only need one hub kit and you can use it on another prop sorry I am so new at this

"You only need one Flo Torque

"You only need one Flo Torque hub kit. You can use any Merc prop with it, as long as the prop is compatible with the Flo Torque hub system. Most of the new Merc props are. You can also use most any other make of regular 15 spline prop. It is a very common shaft size and spline pattern.
Rod"

Back