Logo

Help for newbie please

M

mazvaz

"Hi all, hope you can help wit

"Hi all, hope you can help with a couple of questions.
We have recently purchased a boat with a Yamaha 55BE on the back which hasn't been run for 6 years.
I think the engine is a 1981 model, info on the plate is :-
Yamaha 55BE
R 663 L313277

I have tried in vain to find a service manual for this year, all i can find are manuals for 1984 models onwards, so could anyone help with finding one.
Also, i would like any advice on what to watch out for with the engine sitting for this long and being this old, am i flogging a dead horse? We plan on getting the engine serviced before we carry on with the project.

Hope you can help, thanks, Mark
"

"Your motor is a 1981. Have y

"Your motor is a 1981. Have you tried Yamaha for a manual???

A motor that has been sitting for 6 years could potentially have a number of issues. The age of the motor is not really an factor - there is hundreds if not thousands of 1960-something motors out there still running well..

The motor does need a good "go over" though before you entertain ideas of trying to start her up.

Compression check, spark check, new plugs, new impeller, replace the gear oil in lower unit. Check seals, hoses and wires for serviceability. Carb(s) should be removed and cleaned (rebuilt if necessary)...

If that sounds like alot, just price a new motor and base your decision on that...

Don't be in rush to try and start it - after 6 years you could well destroy it before it ever sees the water...."

"Mark, There are far more know

"Mark, There are far more knowledgable folks responding to these but reading other posts someone stated that Yamaha did not start makeing outboards till 1984. I too was wondering why there were no manuals for engines pre 1984... That could be why?
Mark from AK"

"Thanks for replies guys, thou

"Thanks for replies guys, though i think maybe i should of kept a closer look - oops.

Graham - luckily enough, even without coming back here we did check a few of the things you mentioned, but were advised by the servicer to check it out before taking it for service, so we did.
The engine fired up after a few goes, and ran like a purring cat :D
The impeller does look like it's knackered (obviously i suppose) as it didn't pump any water, but we didn't let the engine get overheated so don't worry :p

Mark from AK, going by the yamaha model guide i don't think that's correct, they show engines from 1960 on that, can't find the english one, but this was enough to work it out :- http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/yamahaModelGuide.html

As for manuals, we 'think' we may have found one - although they are closed until June 10th (today) for decorating, linked it here to try and help (sorry forgot to say i am in UK) :- http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/OSU013/

Hope the links help out, and also thanks again for the replies
"

Back