Logo

1989 43L no juice from coil

89sea65ray

"Buddy of mine has a 89 SeaRay

"Buddy of mine has a 89 SeaRay with a 4.3L chevy inboard engine. We tried to get it started over the weekend, but it's not suppling juice to the dist. When he turned the key on, there's juice on both positive & negative poles, but not out the top of the coil. And when he turned the engine over, he still has juice on both poles & still no juice coming out to the dist. We thought the coil was bad so he bought another one, but we got the same results. Anyone have any ideals, or suggestions? Thanks."

Walter:

The problem may be

Walter:

The problem may be the optic sensor inside the dist. or the amplifier module has gone south. There is a recent posting detailing the test procedure for Thunderbolt ignition. Test before replacing parts. Module is expensive. Guy

"Tests for TB ignition: W/igni

"Tests for TB ignition: W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced."

"Hey Guy G. You hit it right o

"Hey Guy G. You hit it right on the head. It was the optic sensor. When I popped the dist. cap off I had to pry the rotor off, which I busted in pieces. Under the rotor the dist. shaft was so rusted it looked like it had been out in a field for years. I tried taking emery paper to the sensor, but it was to far gone. Bought a new one for 59.00 & a rotor for 11.00, put it all together & she fired right up. Haven't taken it on the water yet, but won't go to far from dock til I'm sure, lol. Thanks again."

Walter: My lucky guess. Got

Walter: My lucky guess. Got to get to the lottery machine. LOL

That's great! Now check the timing and set to spec. since changing the sensor may have it off a few deg. Guy

Back