Logo

1976 omc 190

T

troydc

"Hello I have a 1976 omc 190 w

"Hello I have a 1976 omc 190 with ford 302. It is the stringer model. The bearings are fried inside the upper gear case. I took it all apart, the gears are fine just the bearings. both drive shafts(in the upper gear case) need replaced. It seems awful expensive to try and fix this. Would it be worth fixing? the boat was given to me. I am not sure if it is worth fixing or just sale the decent parts? Would appreciate some feedback....thank you"

"I am an owner of a 1975 225HP

"I am an owner of a 1975 225HP Stringer. My boat was not free and I do most of my own work and shop the Internet for parts and have OEM Service Manuals. Given your message, what needs to be done the parts can be gotten for a good price. BUT, you will probably need someone who actually repairs OMC Stringers to not only install the bearing but do a complete reseal. It is not what I would call a DIY job. If the Upper is in that bad of shape, you very well may have more problems in the lower. Given the price you paid for it, my recommendation is to get rid of it the best way you can. I have heard a number of times from folks more experienced than I and have been around whole lot longer say "A Free Boat is not Free""

"Awful expensive? The bearings

"Awful expensive? The bearings are about $40 from any bearing house that sells Timken. The labour to replace the bearings and set up the drive and assemble probably about $600. If the rear horizontal bearing spun in the bore, you might require housing work or a new case. There's a place in Toronto I would ship it and have them quote it. All they do is OMC , 1 or 2 stringers a day."

"Thanks for the info guys...I

"Thanks for the info guys...I am not experienced in outdrives at all. So I guess $750-1000 is not expensive to fix? It looks like water had got into the upper case and rusted everyting together. plus there was no oil to be found. all the bearings are intact except for the upper horizontal bearing that fits into the back of the case, it wast melted and in pieces. What is the name of that place in toronto hystat? It looks like I might have to just try and get what i can out the parts. Is there a place to sell these to? Got to figure out which way to go. Any advice would be great...."

Back