Logo

1996 Volvo Penta 58 EFI wonbt start

J

Jeff Koblick

"Starter engages to hard click

"Starter engages to hard clicks, when finally turns there are loud metal pops and alot of chatter from the engine, engine still won't run at this point. Battery + terminals start smoking right after this. Removed starter and it bench tested okay. This started happening all of a sudden, at first when it did I could get the engine started after a few tries, now I can't get it to spin."

"Your engine may be hydrolocke

"Your engine may be hydrolocked. Remove the spark plugs and try again, and look for signs of water coming form any of the cylinders."

"You were right on, thanks for

"You were right on, thanks for your help. All 4 cyliners on the right side had water. Starter cranks now. Changed the oil & filter, fogged cylinders, an going to replace all plugs. What is best way to make sure all water is removed from cylinders before replacing plugs? About 4 years ago one of the exhaust baffles broke off and lodged in the exhaust. I was told to not replace them. A fast stop from going fast allowed water to get in."

"Since you already fogged the

"Since you already fogged the cylinders, the best thing you can do now is to install the plugs and run the engine for awhile, then change the oil and filter and run the engine again. You should do this ASAP so that the water does not have time to cause corrosion.

Just let's hope you have not bent any rods or damaged any rod bearings or the crankshaft while attempting to start a hydrolocked engine."

What would the symptoms be if

What would the symptoms be if the rods were bent or damaged rod bearings or crankshaft? Thanks

"Good news, bad news. Engine s

"Good news, bad news. Engine starts and runs fine except flywheel is missing some teeth. Can the flywheel be replaced by taking off the outdrive and accessing thru the transom opening and not removing the engine? Will I be able to do this without special tools? 5.8FI Volvo Penta (Cobra) in a Chris Craft 250 Concept. Thanks."

Any info to above 2 questions

Any info to above 2 questions would be most appreciated

"Jeff, a bent rod will prevent

"Jeff, a bent rod will prevent a piston from reaching its intended position at TDC (it will not flush with the edge of the block), and therefore, compression will be permanently lower until the bent rod is replaced. Also, chances are that if rods have been bent due to dydrolocking, pistons and bearings may have also suffered damage, as well as the crankshaft.

Scott has already answered your second question in another thread : you need to pull the engine."

Back