Logo

AQ125A Water Leak

D

Daniel Laney

"I have an AQ125A and 270 outd

"I have an AQ125A and 270 outdrive in an 84 Bayliner. On the Maiden Voyage the boat ran great,but I have one small problem. Directly behind the starter, on the bellhousing, is a small drilled and tapped hole that gushes raw water when the motor is running. Does this need to be plugged, or do I have a problem ?"

"I think you have a problem.

"I think you have a problem.

If you have raw water coming from somewhere in the bellhousing, it's either because your bilges are full of water and the flywheel stirs it, or your drive bellows is gone (or one of the clamps is loose) and water is finding its way inside the boat through the bellhousing.

The first case is easy to fix: pump the bilges and find and eliminate the source of water ingress. The second case will likely involve the renewal of the drive bellows, the renewal of the u-joint bearings, and the removal of the engine with the bellhousing, so that you can renew the bellhousing bearing and seals; and there would also be the chance that water would have found its way into the outdrive."

"Thank you El. for the speedy

"Thank you El. for the speedy reply. I was almost expecting the worse. Now that I know what to look for, I'll check it out and get back with you. Again, thank you very much."

Back