Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One Prop SlippingReplacement

B

Benjamin James

"Hey Guys
I have a 1992 Larso

"Hey Guys
I have a 1992 Larson 260 Cabrio. Coming back from the weekend I had the speed set at 3200rpm, perfect calm water and noticed it was starting to slip a little (prop cavitating) I tried re trimming but it didnt work. As time went on it seemed to get worse, especially if I increased throttle. Now I am guessing its a prop hub.i just bought the boat 3 weeks ago and it had some dings in the prop. My Question; can I change the prop in the water? When I put the tilt into "Trailer" it come up, but still half in the water? Also, any tricks to changing it? Finally, whats a good prop to put on it if I am runing a 5.7 Merc?

Thanks in advance.
Mark"

"Sounds like all the typical s

"Sounds like all the typical slipping prop hub symptoms. If the current prop gave you WOT of 4600-4800 RPM; that is what you want to replace it with. Otherwise, most marinas will let you try out 2 or 3 different props in hopes of getting your business.
Rod"

cant i just buy a new Prop? Do

cant i just buy a new Prop? Does it not come with the Hub?

"Newer Merc props come with a

"Newer Merc props come with a Flo Torque assembly, which is a bunch of separate pieces that assemble onto the shaft and sit inside the prop hub. Other makes still use the pressed in rubber slip hub design.
Rod"

"Props $200, Hub $30.

If th

"Props $200, Hub $30.

If the prop has a replacable hub, replace it. Take it apart and see what you find. If you see a 4 sided injection moulded plactic hub... look for hairline cracks."

Back