Logo

Water in #4

"I have a 1985 mcm470 on a1979

"I have a 1985 mcm470 on a1979 grady white... did alot of work this winter to it..new exhaust manifold, carb,starter coil...etc had some water in the motor from a cracked exhuast manifold, so i replaced it. When i took it for a test run it bogged down after 10 min ( it ran fine on land with ears for 20 min).I pulled the plugs and number 4 was wet. Turned the motor over and had water come out of the cylinder. Waited 10 min turned it over again water again.. Checked the compression of the number 3 and 4 cylinder(150) in both...Could it be a head gasket? The exhaust manifold was still full of coolant??? Any help i would appreciate it...Thank you"

it definately can be the head

it definately can be the head gasket...i had the same problem....gasket was blown and water was sneaking right into the cylinder....be carefull if it is...water doesnt compress and if the cylinder is full of water when trying to start it....it can mess up alot

Sounds like the exhaust manifo

Sounds like the exhaust manifold wasn't the only thing that cracked. You probably have more internal damage than you thought. I had a leaky gasket with water dripping into the first cylinder and over a period of time it had completely obliterated the piston. You outa tear that motor apart before more goes wrong. Most likely its a head gasket though. Good luck

the 470 is a fwc motor.can`t h

the 470 is a fwc motor.can`t have water come out of the cylinder unless the exaust riser is bad or not installed properly.A/F would come from a head gasket.

i believe the 470 can be antif

i believe the 470 can be antifreeze cooled as well....i have an 86 170 and its antifreeze cooled...wen p do you have antifreeze in your system?

Back