Logo

DIFFERANCE BETWEEN KING AND REGULAR COBRA 75L OMC

R

RICK OGDEN

I HAVE A 1987 CRUISERS V SPORT

I HAVE A 1987 CRUISERS V SPORT WITH A 460 OMC.
IT'S SEEMS TO BE A HARD ENGINE TO GET PARTS FOR.
MY QUESTION IS CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE KING COBRA AND THE REGULAR COBRA ENGINES. AND HOW I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM.
WHERE TO GET PARTS AND REPAIR MANUALS FOR THIS ENGINE. I JUST BOUGHT A MALLORY BREAKER LESS DISTRUBUTER AND I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO TIME THE ENGINE.
THANKS
RICK

"Rick....there isn't reall

"Rick....there isn't really any difference in the emgines themselves. OMC did a really good job confusing people when they decided to start calling some packages King Cobra's. What you have is a 460 4bbl with an almost standard Cobra drive on it. Almost standard because the lower end is beefier than a regular Cobra (holds 108 oz of lube instead of the regular 64 oz) In 1990 the drive changed from a clutch dog style to a cone clutch (major difference) I have a pair of 1989 460's, last year for the clutch dog style. Best thing you can do is get yourself a genuine OMC factory service manual for your year, can find them quite often on ebay, in my opinion much better than the aftermarket ones. Parts are still very available especially through the web. This site here has quite a bit of OMC parts and if you go to Doug Russell and hit OMC they actually have online parts catalogs and you can order online from them too.http://http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/index.cfm"

Can I put a Cobra upper housin

Can I put a Cobra upper housing on a King Cobra Drive. I have found lots of Cobra upper gear housings for mu 460 KING cobra but i dont know if they will work. PLEASE HELP

You can use a housing off say

You can use a housing off say a 5.7 provided the King Cobra lower is dog clutch style and not the cone clutch however the gearing will not be correct. The 7.5 uses 21:17 and the other Cobra's use different ratio's.

"OK but i have found upper gea

"OK but i have found upper gear housings for 7.5L 460's with 21:17 gears but it doesnt say its for KING COBRA it just says Cobra upper gear housing. One other thing, My upper gearhousing has an emblem on it that says OMC COBRA not KING COBRA does that mean that the upper housing is in fact a cobra and not a king cobra?"

"You should be fine with that

"You should be fine with that one, as long as it's a dog clutch style. You can quickly tell which style by looking at the very top cover (oil dipstick) on the drive, the dog clutch style will be flat and the cone clutch style will have a hump on the cover."

Back