Logo

4cy OMC to anything else

Z

Zach Broadway

"Ok I just bought an older sta

"Ok I just bought an older starcraft with the 3.0 OMC in it... I bought it with a cracked block (improperlly winterized) I want more power and since I have to put a new motor in it, I want to go up to a 350cid... I'm new to the marine scene and need info on this like: is it too heavy? What will I need to do with stringer drive? any info is appriciated... Zach"

"Zach....that drive won't

"Zach....that drive won't handle the power of the V8 or even the V6, the 3.0 used the "400" series drive and the 6&8's used the beefier "800" series. If you were going to change the engine and drive then you may want to think about re doing the transom and going with Merc or Volvo?"

ok so I would need to change t

ok so I would need to change the drive out which means changing controls too? How difficult is re-doing the transom (do you have any websites on this prosedure)?

The help is greatly appriciated!

I don't have any personall

I don't have any personally but I'm sure there are lots of sources out on the web about transom rebuilding. However I thought that some of the older Starcrafts were made from aluminum so the process would be much different than with fiberglass. Unless you really really want to change engine size you might be better off staying with the same size.

"Don't know if still looki

"Don't know if still looking to repower, and you left out a lot of information. What is "older", how large is the boat? was it offerred with other packages? finally, you didn't say what drive you have, ie cobra or stringer.

If it is a stringer (round hole in transom benind drive), lots of luck. Everything has to be removed, the transom sealed and then new hole cut.

If it is the cobra drive, you're in luck. the cobra was set up with the same cut out as the mercruisers. So, if cobra, you can replace with most of the alpha series, any cobra setup, and the volvo SX setup.

Rmember, as mentioned earlier, the gears in the outdrive MUST match the horsepower of the engine. They all look the same on the outside.
Good luck"

Back