Logo

Battery runs down

charlieindia

" while at sea the battery ran

" while at sea the battery ran down and couldn't start the engine, no emergency and the boat was drifting any body with solution. "

" Need more info. What were vo

" Need more info. What were voltmeter or ammeter showing while boat was running. How old are batteries, do you have a dual battery set up, etc. Give me some more background and I will try to help, Kin "

" thanks kin, well the ammeter

" thanks kin, well the ammeter reading was zero that is neutral, the batteries are new and it is dual battery set up 12volts each making 24volts(series connection) and the engine is a brand new caterpillar marine high speed engine with rpm of 1830. "

" If the ammeter reading is ze

" If the ammeter reading is zero, then it seems as if the alternator is not charging. Most alt's have a built in voltage reg, but not always. Also double check to see that all connections are clean and tight before you replace any components.I assume that these readings were taken while engines was running and above a 1000 RPMs. Kim "

" good kin but what i mean is

" good kin but what i mean is a way out of the problem that is how to recharge the battery while it has run down completely, any ideas. "

" The only way to charge your

" The only way to charge your batteries at sea is with the alternater on the engine unless you have a solar powered battery charger. I suggest you hook up a volt gauge to monitor you battery voltage. If you ammeter is at zero with the engine running, your batteries are not being charged. Make sure your connections are all right.
Email me if you need more info. "

Back