Logo

Pre Alpha470 Exhausting Bellows install

malibu205

"Cheers! I'm wondering if

"Cheers! I'm wondering if anyone has actually been able to install the exhaust bellows without the expander tool recommended? If so, whats the trick?
Thanks"

"Ralf
Can be done, I dont use

"Ralf
Can be done, I dont use a tool when I install them but someone posted a good tip a while ago, where they slipped the bellows over the end of a piece of pipe, slightly larger than the ring where they sit, I think from memory they left them overnite or for a few hours and then withdrew the pipe and the bellows would just slip right on.
I am going to try that on the next ones I fit.
Cheers
Peter C

PS: Make sure you use an adheasive on the bellows."

2 1/2" pvc coupling overni

2 1/2" pvc coupling overnite should help then just grab the ridges inside and pull it on

"The way I do it is, clamp the

"The way I do it is, clamp the bellows on the aft side where the drive is going to mount. Then turn the drive one way or the other whichever way is going to make it comfortable for you to work through. Don't forget to slide the clamp over the bellows with the screw at the 12 o clock facing to port.
Use the big end of a long 3/8 drive extension and work the bellows over the exhaust outlet on the gimbal housing. through the outlet in the bell housing.One side will go right over, the other side (side opposite the way the drive is turned) will be a bit tougher, but once you get the bellows on you can turn the drive straight, and finish pushing the exhaust bellows all the way on to the gimbal housing. Then you can tighten the clamp. Do NOT Use bellows adhesive on the exhaust bellows. There is no need for it, and it makes them more difficult to install.

By turning the "drive", I mean the rams, and the gimbal ring, the drive should not be installed while trying to change the exhaust bellows. It can be done, but it's far more difficult than the 5 minutes it takes to R&R the drive.

Hope this helps. I've done hundreds of bellows installs, and this is by far the easiest way I've found to do them.

Mr.B"

Mr B;
Your method sounds like

Mr B;
Your method sounds like a tried and true recipe. Thanks for the sound advice on behalf of all here.
Rod

"Thanks to all for the great i

"Thanks to all for the great ideas. The shop manual seems to suggest dissassembly of the u-joint bellows , shift bellows and water hose. I'm glad the voice of experience will save me all that trouble!
Cheers, Ralf -"

Back