Logo

Steering System

billkitt

"Hello All
First post. I&#3

"Hello All
First post. I'm restoring an 87 Searay 19'OB 3.0L Merc. w/Power steering. I got the engine running and serviced the out drive. Everything good so far. It's missing the trim motor (pump) so I'm searching for on as we speak. I am a master Auto Tech and currently an Instructor but I am still pretty hazy on boats. Here is my question: My steering wheel is locked. The outdrive is locked as well. 3 of us searched for a lock or something and we are stumpped. It has an OE ps system. We undid the cable on the unit and I can manually move drive to the left because the whole cable and casing are loose. Nothing to the otherside. When I say locked, I mean locked like a car steering wheel with the keys out. My Seloc online manual has not helped me on this one.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill"

"power steering ram still conn

"power steering ram still connected? if so sounds normal. can you turn the wheel now? if not, replace helm/cable. try sterndrive engineering (S.E.I.) for trim pump. pretty good price. if you only need the motor, ARCO, or this site.(sierra)"

"Thanks Scott. What exactly i

"Thanks Scott. What exactly is the ram? Still can't turn the wheel at all. Like I said, it's like a car steering wheel with the keys out. Lock left, lock right. Is there some kind of trailering outdrive lock mechanism I'm missing?

Appreciate your help buddy!

Bill"

"sorry, there is no steering l

"sorry, there is no steering lock. the good news is new helm/cable is fairly inexpensive. the stud that anchors the steering cable tube is the actuator valve for the power steering. with cable out, and engine running, you should be able to move drive by moving stud side to side. it is fairly stiff, and only moves a little. in case you want to test it. with engine off, drive will usually move to one side, (with resistance) and not go back. if steering wheel is siezed wiyh cable loose, it's either bad, or stuck in tube at transom.(corrosion) if cable is bad, replace helm too."

Back