Logo

1977 starcraft 165 omc

tim_j

"I have water in oil of upper

"I have water in oil of upper drive unit. Engine runs cool, so I don't think water pump is bad. Where do I start?"

"If it is something you want t

"If it is something you want to do yourself, start by purchasing an OEM OMC Service Manual for the Year Model Drive you have. With that you have enough information to remove the Outdrive and then the Upper Gearcaee. From there, unless you have special tools which are noted in the Manual, you will need to find someone that actually works on OMC Stringer Drives and have it resealed. Then put the drive back together and bolt back onto the boat. FYI, Assuming no actual damage to the Gearcase or anything related an Upper Gearcase Kit is all that should be needed."

"Two main components. Upper Ge

"Two main components. Upper Gearcase and Lower Gearcase. Upper Gearcase basically connects to the Intermediate Gearcase that is attached to the Engine. Lower Gearcase mounts under the Upper Gearcase. Upper has gear Ratios that correspond to the size of engine you have. The Lower Gearcase is what the Propeller is connected to. Hope this helps.

81990.jpg
Older Model but tells what needs to be told

"I'm with Scott on this on

"I'm with Scott on this one!!! Hard to keep the water out of these uppers. Reseal and hope for the best or if it's not REAL bad and you don't use it alot, change it out often."

Back