Logo

Dumb Ignition Rotor Question

bill_cunningham

Contributing Member
"My 5.7 has a thunderbolt Elec

"My 5.7 has a thunderbolt Electronic ignition distributor..(I surmised this by looking at tune up kits till I seen something the same as mine) Now, not being a engine whiz, two questions.. It also has a coil? An electronic ignition needs a coil? and how the heck do you get the rotor out.. Any rotor I've dealt with in the past, simply lifts out after you pull off the cap.. I just took a quick look, but is this thing held on with a set screw?, Because, it certainly does not just lift out!"

"Even the most advanved engine

"Even the most advanved engine still needs something to step up the voltage to produce the spark .The rotor is sometimes hard to come off ,I use two little pry bars .Carefully lift the rotor evenly with those tools and it will come off.You can also use two big screwdrivers."

"in general terms, electronc i

"in general terms, electronc ignition just replaces the points and condenser found on older ignition systems."

Bill:

They use Locktite du

Bill:

They use Locktite during assy. A rusting shaft makes it worse. Try what Mike H. advises. Still stuck? Grab it with a channel locks from the top and twist and pull up at the same time. Won't come off? Split it with a cold chisel by rapping it with just enough force to split it open.

I put the new one back after sanding off the rust and adding a thin coating of Never Sieze. Still working after a year.

Guy

"Ok Great.. Thanks for the hel

"Ok Great.. Thanks for the help folks.. Prying it off was my first thought, but I figured. I better find out for sure before I force it off and really screw something up..Ok on the coil, Yup that makes sense..."

Back