Logo

OMC

cathy

Contributing Member
"Okay we replaced the impeller

"Okay we replaced the impeller on the sterndrive of our OMC, however we still don't get any water to suck up to cool the engine, anyone know what the problem could be? HELP"

When you pulled the old impell

When you pulled the old impeller out was it all intact or did it lose some of it's fins? If it did then your gonna have to find them because they could be causing a restriction in the system. Could be at the power steering cooler if you have one or at the thermostat. Which hose did you pull off to see if you were getting any water flow?

"When we pulled the old impell

"When we pulled the old impeller out, unfortunetly for us it was melted and shattered. We are depending on some old reliable boaters for info, and a book. We thought we got all the pieces out. When my son-in-law tightened the housing, or plastic cover on the impeller, it cracked where the screws go in. Could this be the problem. My boat is a 1988 Winner Sport Cuddy with aOMC 305. And the outdrive just says OMC. So it's not a cobra.........."

"If it's in a 1988 boat bo

"If it's in a 1988 boat boat it should be a Cobra. Looking at the drive from the back does it have hydraulic trim rams (1 on each side) or does the entire outdrive have a big black rubber boot going all the way around it. (trim rams = Cobra, black rubber boot = Stringer Drive). Don't think the cracked housing should be causing a total water loss but needs to be replaced. To get to the impeller did you just take 3 bolts off and remove a plastic triangular shaped cover? If so then for sure it's a Cobra. You should get the water pump kit and replace the housing, rubber seal, stainless steel liner and impeller."

"Hi Cathy,, read your troubles

"Hi Cathy,, read your troubles. Sounds like you might need a new water pump housing because any little air leak is not good. Also, some of the impeller might have got into the thermostat. If you have power steering it can get into the power steering cooler behind the engine. Did your son-in-law flush out the whole system with water? Maybe someone can tell you which hose to disconnect for the "backwards flushing". Here is where I got my parts from, there fast and not expensive. Scrool down to the bottom of the page and should see the water pump housing and anything else you might need, new gasket, water pump kit, etc. Hope this helped some. Here is the link. http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=13708 Oh, best OMC manuals are on ebay."

"yeah it's a Cobra, 3 bolt

"yeah it's a Cobra, 3 bolts, and plastic triangular cover. Here's the thing, they didn't have the whole kit. Just the impeller and rubber seal. No housing......... and I am not sure about the liner. hubby would now that. One other question if you know the answer pleaseplease help.........Now we are not sure about the direction of the blades.........Jack at WestMarine told us. But we would like to double check, the book isn't specific about that......Thank you so much for your time"

"Sorry did I say it wasn't

"Sorry did I say it wasn't a cobra a post back...Duh, I am just the fishing fool here. Still crying about the boat.......LOL. We have so many Wally's that we are missing.........Shore fishing is getting old quick.......Thanks again."

"I'll try to describe how

"I'll try to describe how I do it. With the housing off in my hand and the SS liner inside it, I turn the impeller clockwise while putting it in so in the end I guess the blades have a bend to the left is the best way I can describe it. Turn it until the narrow end of the slot in the impeller points down. You also mentioned in another post that you had the upper and lower separated? If so are you sure the water tube in the upper was still ok when re-installing?"

Hubby just said that it appear

Hubby just said that it appears to be okay.That is the tube in the upper......And we had the blades going correctley then.......Is there anyway we can flush this system backwards to see if there is anything obstructing the hose? We are so @#@%@$#@@$# close.

"I don't know what size yo

"I don't know what size your engine is so I don't know how many hoses you will have at the thermostat housing but take the input hose (comes from the transom) off at the t-stat and use a garden hose to flush back thru the drive, you may have a power steering cooler in there and even an oil cooler? or the hose will run straight back to the transom mount where it attaches to a tube. You should have water coming out the water intakes on the lower unit."

"Okay Bob we did that and we d

"Okay Bob we did that and we did find more plastic pieces, now, he will take off the thermostat housing and check that out. Good thing I bought the thermostat kit. One last problem and I hope we will get her out soon. When we put the lower unit and the upper back together into the drive, somehow we lost our reverse and nuetral. Forward drive engages, and just a little below neutral engages. however we have no reverse...........so do you or anyone else know if we have to replace the shift rod or can we adjust it........He is looking in the book but no info just yet............."

"I hope you didn't possibl

"I hope you didn't possibly bend the shift rod when you split the 2? Have a look at this link, Stuart has done a great job in creating this website with a lot of "do it yourself" Cobra info including adjusting the shift cable and there is a pic in there with the shift rod measurement as normally there is a special tool for doing it.

http://http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

"here was a post I wrote might

"here was a post I wrote might help some more! After this maybe your back on the water fishin'!
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:07 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you did not adjust any shift cables on the engine or anywhere, sounds like shift rod is out of adjustment. Before you replaced the lower unit, did you measure the shift rod from the gearcase casting to the top of the shift rod, NOT from the top of the top of the shift rod cover. It should be 7 13/64 inches. I used a carpenters square. It is critical to be the correct height when you put the unit back on for the bellcrank to slip perfectly into the notch on the shift rod. I just did the same thing to mine about 2 weeks ago and went by this website. I suggest you read over it and check the shift cable also. www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/
It worked for me, mine was all out of whack but shifts like butter now! Good luck."

"To Steve and Bob, I cannot th

"To Steve and Bob, I cannot thank you both enough for the information. Hubby said he is sure that's the problem and I finally did find the pictures. He said, oops I did turn it a little. So now we know we are on the right track. I will let you guys know if we get her running good, and again, Thank YOU very very much."

"Hi Cathy, your very welcome.

"Hi Cathy, your very welcome. Wish I could have helped more but could only tell you what I experienced myself and read. Bob really knows his stuff! Wish you all the best luck and happy boating!"

"Hello it's me again, Well

"Hello it's me again, Well we wanted to check out our thermostat to see if there were any problems, and guess what no thermostat........Now we have the kit but are not quite sure how to place in the housing or what all the gaskets are for. Does anyone have any illustrations.....HELP......Cathy"

"Hi Cathy...are you sure there

"Hi Cathy...are you sure there is no thermostat? They are not installed the same as a car where you normally remove the t-stat housing and there is the t-stat just sitting there. Instead what OMC does is actually install it up inside the t-stat housing and holds it in place a big rubber oring. See the pic below, all you should need is item 25 the new gasket, item 56 the t-stat and item 52 is the o ring. The housing is notched inside for the oring to sit in and it holds the t-stat in place.

82284.gif
"

"There is no thermostat.......

"There is no thermostat.............And no notching insid of the housing.......Very rusty inside and almost looks like threads, any suggestions"

"The pic I posted is for a 198

"The pic I posted is for a 1988 5 ltr OMC so the housing should look just like yours. Take the housing and flip it upside down and place the t-stat inside upside down, there is a notch or a lip just above the rim of the t-stat, thats where the oring goes to hold the t-stat in."

"We had to take a wire brush,

"We had to take a wire brush, and pry out the old o-ring, which of course impaired our vision of the notch,,,,,,thank god. Cleaned it out and lo and behold it fits right in there. Now why do you suppose there was not thermostat in there? We still have to adjust the shift rod, Maybe with and luck we will have this finished soon......Cross your fingers and say a prayer..By the way I really can't thank you enough.......When we get the boat out I will send you a pic.......Thank you Thank you Thank you.....Cath"

"It's possible the previou

"It's possible the previous owner was trying to fix an overheat problem and took a shortcut by removing the thermostat to make it run cooler? Don't know why they would remove it and yet put the oring back in? Anyway they shouldn't be run without one as it doesn't really allow the engine to come up to proper running temp which isn't good for a lot reasons, one being fuel efficiency."

"Hello it's me the frustra

"Hello it's me the frustrated fishing person,,,,New Question.....Can we backflush the coolin system? if so how to do it/ we put in a new tstat and would like to make sure everything is clear//Thank you"

Back