Logo

Aq131a overheating

koda075

"i have a 87 beretta with a vo

"i have a 87 beretta with a volvo penta 275 4cyl. my problem is that im not pulling in any lake water and the impeller is working good, and i am getting some exhaust up through the raw water filter and the is no water going through the filter. when i hook the hose up to it, it runs fine and dont overheat. i have checked all hoses. what am i missing? can someone pleaze help me"

"A good possibility is that th

"A good possibility is that the hose connector in the outdrive is corroded and the engine raw water pump sucks air when on the plane. If this is the case, it is easy and cheap to fix. Get a new hose connector (check link ), remove the old one (3/16" allen key), coat the neck and the flange of the new hose connector with Perfect Seal or similar (as well as the two screws), install it and off you go.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm"

check your thermostat make sur

check your thermostat make sure its working properly.. also check your impeller (might just be worn out and not pulling water under a load).. put your outdrive in a big bucket or small trashcan with a water hose in the bucket and see if you are indeed pulling fresh water.. if you are using muffs or a fresh water hookup the hose is giving you pressure and not making the motor pull the water.. other then that listen to EL he will be able to figure it out for you.. Good luck I went through the same thing last season..

there is a meal ring in the mi

there is a meal ring in the middle of the impeller (the rubber boot) it has some cracks in it could this be the cause of my overheating?

"If the hose connector is good

"If the hose connector is good and the impeller is good, there are not many other options. I understand the impeller is in good condition, but is the key installed between the pump shaft keyway and the impeller? Is the crosspiece (3) installed between the countershaft and the pump? Is the suction pipe provided with a seal and is the flange attaching it to the pump tight? Also, is the hose between the pump suction copper pipe and the pipe in the transom shield correctly installed and the clamps tight? And is the hose between the outdrive and the transom shield in good condition and the clamps tight?

Really, there are only so many reasons why the pump will not suck water, and I think we have covered all of them."

"If I had read this post last

"If I had read this post last week I'd have saved $300. I had a mechanic replace the hose connector El Pescador speaks of and that was the tab
angry.gif
. Lesson learned

Tom"

"I have the same engine and pr

"I have the same engine and problem.
It would run somewhat cool at low RPMs but up on plane would get hot (220 degrees). After searching these boards (which are fantastic) I got many ideas.
Replaced impeller, checked thermostat (it was missing) and still the thing runs hot on plane.
I checked the outdrive hose connector. Fresh water boat and it looked perfect.
I attached a clear host from the outdrive and while the outdrive was in a plastic garbage can of water I sucked water up and it was a tight seal.
So then I went to the raw water pump. It seems to be functioning fine. Good seals etc.
Then I noticed some water dripping and pulled the copper pipe that connects the water pump to the outdrive rubber hose. As I turned it over it had a gash in it where it was rubbing on the alternator bracket. I soldered the copper pipe's hole and now it works great.

Check that copper pipe for wear."

Back