Logo

Brand new to boating and marine engines 224 cid mercruiser

E

Eric Holbrook

"Sorry to be a total novice he

"Sorry to be a total novice here but a friend and I recently made a purchase. A local wanted to get rid of a boat trailer and threw in the boat as well so we took him up on the offer. Now the boat was said to be running when they took it off the lake but that it wouldn't fire up when they tried it after it was parked.

The engine is a mercruiser 224cid 190hp (not sure on the liters) We are in the process of tearing it down to check it out, we took off the coolant tank that has alot of crud dried up in it so its getting flushed out. Also took off the valve cover and it looks brand new under there. We havent taken much else off yet but hopefully it will be in good shape.

We have to get a battery and everything to check it out but the big issue is that we know nothing about boats and marine engines. I know, I know, why buy a boat if you know nothing about them. Well weve both been looking for a while at boats and couldnt pass this up.

now please excuse my lack of boating vocabulary here...

All we have is the engine in this thing. There are none of the parts that come out the back except two shaft type pieces that I believe are for steering, not sure though.

Can anybody tell me what all we need here, I dont know what to search for as I dont know the terms.

I realize this is extremely vague but I can try to snap some pics if that would help at all. I am just trying to find any information I can to better understand how these things work and what I need to do.

Also, since this is an inboard motor does it need water going through it like outboards do or is it more like an automotive engine.

I appreciate any help you can provide and please hold off your laughter if you could. Thanks."

buy the "seloc" repair

buy the "seloc" repair book for that motor....they tell you EVERYTHING you need to know

"Hi Eric

Welcome to the poo

"Hi Eric

Welcome to the poor house.
Did somebody tell you that boat means, "Bring On Another Thousand".

SG is right, get yourself a copy of the Seloc repair book or one of the other repair manuals and you will find out all you need to know.
When you go to your local dealer to price all the parts just make sure you are sitting down when he gives you the quote.

Cheers
Peter C"

Back