Logo

TILT AND TRIM AGAIN

rich_b

Contributing Member
I HAD A OLD THREE BUTTON SWITC

I HAD A OLD THREE BUTTON SWITCH.TILT AND TRIM DIDNT WORK.TOOK THE SWITCH OUT AND USED A TOGGLE SWITCH JUST TO GET UP AND DOWN.AS OF NOW TOOK THE TILT AND TRIM MOTOR AND PUMP OUT OF THE BOAT AND JUMPED THE MOTOR AND IT WORKED FINE.NOW THE HARD PART.RED-GREEN-BLUE-PURPLE WIRES( RED POWER)(BLUE AND GREEN UP AND DOWN)I BELIEVE PURPLE GOES TO TRIM LIMIT SWITCH.I HAVE THE THE TWO WIRES GOING TO THE OUTDRIVE CUT BECAUSE I BELIEVE THERE IS A SHORT IN THE OUTDRIVE.THE PURPLE WIRE TAPED OFF AT THE DASHBOARD.NOW IM NO DUMMY AND THIS BOAT IS GOING TO BE TOTALLY NEW UNLESS I DIE.HAHAHA.CAN I USE ANOTHER TOGGLE SWITCH FOR JUST THE TILT.MAYBE JUMP A POWER WIRE OVER TO THE SECOND TOGGLE AND CONNECT THE PURPLE WIRE.JUST HOW HARD IS IT TO YANK OFF THE OUTDRIVE TO REPLACE THE TILT AND TRIM WIRES. THIS BOAT IS GONNA BE THE DEATH OF ME.BUT WITH GODS HELP WHEN I GET DONE MAYBE I CAN ENJOY IT FOR AT LEAST ONE OR TWO SEASONS WITH OUT CARRYING A TOOL CHEST YES CHEST NOT A BOX WITH ME. THANK YOU

"Richard:

You sound like

"Richard:

You sound like me. The idea you propose will work but there is one major problem; you are trying to circumvent a safety switch designed to prevent you from destroying a $4,000+ engine and OD by accidentally over revving it when the prop comes out of the water for a microsecond when the wife or girlfriend (I am blaming it on them since neither you or I would do it) accidentally on purpose due to a lack of knowledge flips the switch and says to you with your blood boiling & eyeballs about to pop out of your head; "What happend?".

Disconnect the limit switch wires in the boat and remove it from the OD AFTER you make a few scrathes on the position of it and the OD and the two halves of it. Then, using an OHMMETER, test the operation of the switch and for a short to the OD ground. If it is OK, clean it.

It is very simple to disassemble, clean and reinstall. While it is out, wipe out all the old grease in the OD and pump some 2-4-C lube thru the grease fitting. With the switch, clean out the old grease completely, use a rag with a dab of solvent and clean off the flat brass contacts and use a pencil eraser to polish the brass. Gently clean the bowed contactor and lube it all and reassemble.

Pump 2-4-C thru the zerk fitting until it comes out of the switch. Adjust it per my previous post to set the limit of travel for the OD. You'll be so much happier with a working switch.

If the switch is bad, I think someone can describe how to replace it w/o complete removal of the OD.

Guy"

Back