Logo

Mercury 402 40HP dies as soon as it starts

S

scottsaarinen

" This engine starts for about

" This engine starts for about 1-2 seconds and then dies immediately EVERY time. I have checked for spark and it is present. Fuel is definatly getting to the carb, and the valves look ok. Compression is good. When trying it, there doesn't seem to be raw fuel coming out the exhaust, or getting on the plugs. Any ideas? "

" VALVES? This engine is a tw

" VALVES? This engine is a two stroke and doesn't have valves. If you are speaking of the Reeds, then this is a different story. It sounds like you have a fouled carb. Go to you local Mercury dealer and get a complete carb rebuild kit, and if possible a manual. Make sure to bring your motor's serial number. Take your time and clean everything.
Good luck and have fun on the Water. "

" I have a Mercury 402 40hp al

" I have a Mercury 402 40hp also, and from reading the posts, I have a question. This motor has been sitting idle for about 3 years, is there anything I need to do prior to attempting to start it. I am not sure if the gas was all run out the last time it was run. Also where do I find the serial number on it? I would like to try and find out it's age. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "

The 402 was built in the earl

The 402 was built in the early 70's .Replace the water pump impeller(the most neglected part). Cleaning the carburetor if it sat for a long time is a MUST do.

" Thank you for your reply spa

" Thank you for your reply sparky. Is it best to use a spray type carb cleaner, or one that is added to the gas tank? Also, should I flush the gas line from the tank out as well? Are repair manuals still available for this motor? "

I HAVE A2001 40 HP TRACKER/ME

I HAVE A2001 40 HP TRACKER/MERCURY OUT BOARD I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A TILT TRIM INDICATER IF I BY THE GAUGE FROM BASS PRO IS THIS MOTOR ALREADY WIRED TO ACEPT IT OR IS ADDITIONAL WIRRING NEEDED TO GO INTO THE MOTOR?

If you are thinking of cleani

If you are thinking of cleaning a carburetor with"mechanic in a can" you are mistaken. Take the carburetor apart and clean it. Remove the bypass cover and inspect pistons and rings.

" Thanks again sparky. I was n

" Thanks again sparky. I was not sure just how to clean it. I have very little experience with boat motors, other than changing a couple of water pumps, and putting new plugs in. Is there anything in particular I need to watch for when I take this carburetor apart? "

The carburetors are very simp

The carburetors are very simple. Look for dirt in the area of the reeds in the crankcase while you have it off.

Back