Logo

AQ 151 starts to ping and get hot at about 3000 RPMbs

domack

"My AQ-151-A engine starts to

"My AQ-151-A engine starts to ping and get hot at about 3000 under load, any ideas on what might be the cause?
Thanks for your time.
Domack"

"A good possibility is that th

"A good possibility is that the hose connector in the outdrive is corroded and the engine raw water pump sucks air when on the plane. If this is the case, it is easy and cheap to fix. Get a new hose connector (check link ), remove the old one (3/16" allen key), coat the neck and the flange of the new hose connector with Perfect Seal or similar (as well as the two screws), install it and off you go.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm"

"El Pescador,I've read a l

"El Pescador,I've read a lot of your posts and your input is much valued. Thank you for your reply.
I just had the out drives serviced, I checked and it looks like one has been replaced part#854031, but I do have twins. This engine ran really well until the timing belt became wet, I had it fixed last year and it ran fine. It only happens under load.
Thanks for your time,
Domack"

"I don't know about the ge

"I don't know about the getting hot but, my aq151a would ping after running for some time (half hour or more) around that rpm when I didn't have a high enough octain gas in it. Once I kept 91 or higher octain in it it never happened again."

"Thank you for your reply. I h

"Thank you for your reply. I have some octane booster around somewhere. I'll check out the raw water system too when I go down there tomorrow. I know these motors are high maintenance, I'd like to get one more season before moving on to something else.
Thanks again to you all,
Domack"

"Don, I cannot see how a wet t

"Don, I cannot see how a wet timing belt can lead to pinging unless it has jumped one tooth or more in one of the gears. You may want to verify that the valve timing is correct. Another thing you may want to verify is that the distributor gives the correct ignition advance under load (you just need a strobe light for this).

Also, I don't see 4-cyl Volvos as being "high maintenance". They have their issues like all other engines, but with a bit of care (especially coating the engine with "corrosion guard", "fluid film" or similar to prevent corrosion) they should give many years of trouble-free service."

"I've read a lot of your p

"I've read a lot of your posts and I think I'm not as helpless as I felt. Thanks for encouraging me. I'm going to get a better manual and take more control. I'll give it a shot next time I have the time to take her out..
Thanks again,
Domack
happy.gif
"

"The values were adjusted, no

"The values were adjusted, no more pinging. Still running a little hot about 220 at 3500 rpms (when it gets that hot I back off the rpms). The heat sender was changed in the starboard motor. The heat gun says it about 200 on the head. It use to run about 200 to 210 at 3500 plus. So I'm checking the bill to see if it was the right part."

Back