Logo

Clogged manifolds

blueflu

"New to the site. I signed up

"New to the site. I signed up because I like what I read so far. Here is my issue, I hope someone could help. I have 2 1987 230 hp Merc MIE straight inboards FWC system. Port running very hot because seawater pump was shot so it was replaced. Entire raw water system back flushed and clear,risers cool but still running,hot over 200. Circulating pump removed and inspected/fine. While at idle at the dock it seemed like a lot of hose pressure between manifold and the heat exchanger but no where else and the hose end was cool near the exchanger and super hot at the manifold so I assumed no coolant circulation and some blockage. I opened the cooling cap to see if there was any circulation and saw the coolant not moving. When engine cooled down one at a time I removed coolant hoses to the heat exchanger and the cap and blew into them seperately toward the manifolds. It was hard at first then it seemed to get easier and heard coolant coming into the exchanger from the other hose therefore assuming circulation throughout the engine. Started engine at dock and circulation returned and seen. It finally ran at 155 at the dock for 15 minutes or so. Took it out for a ride and it began to run hot again but very slowly crept up to 200 at 3000 rpm or more. The faster I go the hotter it gets. My question is could it be a blockage in the heat exchanger or the manifolds. Heat exchanger removed and inspected pre-season/fine. Could the manifolds be flushed while on the engine. Nothing I've read so far described this situation."

"Clean the exchanger, and be s

"Clean the exchanger, and be sure to "burp" the air out when you refill it.

Jeff"

I had the same problem with my

I had the same problem with my boat twin 255 straight inboards. the manifols run antifreeze so the should not be the problem. the risers run raw water that comes through the heat exchanger and cools it. then the water goes ot the exhausht. my risers were cloged and not allowing cold water to cool the heat exchanger. I put on new risers and it works perfect.

I was hoping that the exchange

I was hoping that the exchanger is the issue. It was 100% clean pre-season but I'll check it again. The risers are running cool to the touch so I think they're OK but I'll pull the plugs and flush them too. Doing that Wednesday and let you both know. Thanks.

Back