Logo

Got the Gimbal out

cncscout

"Hey guys, I got the gimbal be

"Hey guys, I got the gimbal bearing et al off of my 1979 Searay with a 228 stern drive. Your suggestions of the 1/2" allen socket for the Bell Housing Pins and the 3 Jawed slide hammer from Autozone worked perfectly. Thank you. After removing the gimbal bearing, I noticed that the housing that it sets in is damaged. It looks like the outer rollers of the gimbal have worn grooves into this housing. So, is that a bearing race, or part of the transom plate? If it is part of the transom plate, will I get by with just keeping the thing greased really well? If it's a bearing race, any suggestions for getting it out?"

"Duane
If you are talking abo

"Duane
If you are talking about the inside where the bearing is pressed, this has no bearing. The grooves you see are caused by the corrogated cage that keeps the grease in the bearing. Unless it is severely corroded it is no problem. A light cleaning will suffice. Do not use sand paper to remove. That will cause the assembly to not fit properly. Pump alittle grease thru the fitting prior to installing the bearing to ensure it is not clogged. There is a hole in the cage that must be aligned with the hole in the bearing and then aligned with the hole in the gimble housing that you see the grease come out of."

I took another look at the gim

I took another look at the gimbal bearing. You're exactly right. Wow!!! That is god news. My gimbal ring is OK and I don't have to get a bearing race out. Thank you very much. This discussion page sure has saved me a lot of work and worry.

Back