Logo

Does NOT suck water on 270

schhay

Hi there. My name is Sean. I&#

Hi there. My name is Sean. I'm a newby in boating. Need help. I recently purchased a boat with AQ125/270 Stern. My problem is that the water is not being sucked up the stern to cool the engine. I was informed by a local expert to ducktaped the water intake holes so that no water can escape and it should push up the stern and if there is a leak it will show. The expert was correct. He said it would cost about $750 (WOW) to repair this leak because it is a major job. I do own a Seloc Manual it is not that great. Any help will do.

The normal problem is just a c

The normal problem is just a corroded water hose connector. Just replace it. 750 seems quite a bit.

"If the problem is the hose co

"If the problem is the hose connector, this is the part you need; and with a 3/16" allen wrench you can dothe job yourself in 10 minutes (provided the boat is on a trailer).

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm

However, if the problem is a defective o-ring at the end of the water tube (part 34), then the intermediate housing has to be dismantled and, in addition of replacing that o-ring, the whole outdrive needs to be resealed.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&grou p=1878&GroupList=1885,1864,1863,1873,1874,1868,1862,1861,1865,1884,1883,1867,187 1,1872,1869,1878,1879,1880,1881,1882,1866,1887,1870,1886,1875,1877

In any case, if your problem is a corroded hose connector, $750 is purely and simply armed robbery. Even if the problem is that the water tube o-ring needs to be renewed, I find the price on the high side."

"Thank you so much gentlemen.

"Thank you so much gentlemen. I've just found out that the true leakage of my boat is through the stem of my Volvo 270. The cost is $450-$750. Any suggestion whether this can be done by myself with Clymer and/or Seloc manuals? How difficult and how much for parts (i.e. seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc..)?

Also leaking is the exaust bellow where the clamp is. I found out these two leaks by duck-taping the water intake and water seaps out of these 2 locations? How difficult & how much to replace the exaust bellow or maybe just the clamp only?

3rd: What and where is the hose connector?
4th: I found out that when I start the engine and pour water into the "sea" or "raw" water reservior it flows through the exaust. But it does not suck up the water while the hose is running? Besides the 2 symptoms, is there any other?

Thanks again for your assistance."

"What do you mean by "the

"What do you mean by "the stem"? Are you talking about the water tube, or....?

If you cannot tighten the exhaust bellows, here is a link to the exhaust bellows and clamps with the price.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2758&returntopage= 80240797.htm

The hose connector is in the intermediate housing, where the raw water hose is connected to the outdrive; part 28 on the link:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTERMEDIATE_HOUSING_AQ270/dm/store_id.366--sessi on_id.584314992--cart_id.010876839--category_id.333012--list_time.1180736461--vi ew_id.325912

By "reservoir" I believe you must be referring to the strainer housing. If you are talking about the big tank, that is coolant (not raw water) and if it goes to the exhaust then you have a problem. Anyway, if there is no suction fromt he hose is either because the hose connector is NG, or the raw water pump impeller is NG, or because the o-ring at the end of the water tube in the outdrive is NG.

I suggest you check the simple things first, starting for the hose connector."

"Regarding the exhaust bellows

"Regarding the exhaust bellows, I believe there is a tiny hole in the bottom for water drain out of when the outdrive is lifted. Is that what you're seeing water drip out of?

You may not be as bad off as you think. Follow the great advice from Morten and El Pescador and you will come out ahead money wise. Sounds like your 'expert' wants to seperate you from your wallet!"

"Thanks again EL Pescador and

"Thanks again EL Pescador and others for your help. I will at least need the exaust bellows from you. Please see the pics of the strainer, exaust and the "stem". Supposedly it has pistons in it. It's located under the exaust bellow."

"BOB, thank you. I changed the

"BOB, thank you. I changed the impeller already.

By the way, how do I upload pics. After choosing the file, nothing happens when I click upload. It just sits there.

The stem, is the entire piece right below the exaust bellow."

Thank you for all you guy'

Thank you for all you guy's help. Please see your e-mail because it has pictures and I can't post it here.

"I have hot seen any pictures,

"I have hot seen any pictures, so let's have a look at this one.

81939.jpg

In your outdrive, water enters the outdrive through the grids, goes up through the tube and leaves through the hose connector. As you see, there are no "pistons" anywhere.

The most common problem in outdrives like yours is the hose connector being corroded, and the other problem is the o-ring at the bottom of the tube being defective. In both cases, the raw water pump will suck not just water but also air, and if it sucks too much air the engine will experience cooling problems.

For what I hear you saying, it seems that the problem is the o-ring at the bottom of the tube. In that case, both the upper and lower gear assemblies need to be removed to install a new o-ring. And when the upper and lower gear assemblies are removed, new seals need to be installed when putting them together again."

"El, I think he is talking abo

"El, I think he is talking about two problems here. It sounds as though the "stem" is the exhaust riser, aluminum piece, is way coroded and leaking and he found this by finally getting water to the engine by the ducktape,?, test."

"Hello group,
Does anyone kno

"Hello group,
Does anyone know how to get a tube worm out of the water intake grid of a Volvo 270 while the boat is still in the water (Puget Sound). Any help would be great."

Back