Logo

Assembly Sequence for Long block VP 43Gi

nadger

"I had a project fall in my la

"I had a project fall in my lap rebuilding and installing two year 2000 Volvo Penta 4.3Gi motors. I'm not familiar with these and the Sealoc manual, good as it is, doesn't make it clear what sequence to follow on assembling the bolt on gear to a long block. Can anyone give me an indication of what parts need to go on first?

Also, the new long blocks came with the flywheels bolted on minus the flexible couplers. The original couplers and flywheels were held on with studs and nuts, but the old studs were badly corroded (the boat had been sunk at its mooring in a hurricane) and the nuts rusted to the studs. Can I use bolts instead of studs and nuts for this job? If so, do the bolts need to be high tensile?

Can I use spring lock washers instead of split circle lock washers. Spring lock washers will give me a tad more clearance as the bolts are a bit of a squeeze under the coupler body.

Thanks,
Nadger"

go back with studs. bolts that

go back with studs. bolts that will fit will not provide enough engagement. you will strip the threads in the crank when you try to torque. bad thing. very bad.

"one more thing. if you are ju

"one more thing. if you are just starting, and putting the coupler on, you are working backward. the engine won't fit in a stand with the flywheel/coupler on. give the book another read, or get a different one."

"Thanks for the heads up on th

"Thanks for the heads up on the studs. I'll order them right now.

I've got the motors on cut down pallets that the long blocks came on instead of a stand. With the motors on the swim platform (shored up) I have a good working height. Does your procedure call for installing the couplers and flywheel housing while the motor is on the chain hoist prior to dropping it onto the mounts, or when the motor is installed and on the mounts. The latter would seem to leave little work space with the motors installed.

Nadger"

Also- the manual mentions lock

Also- the manual mentions lock washers- will spring lock washers do as well as split circle lock washers?

Nadger

"yes, I usually assemble all I

"yes, I usually assemble all I can on a stand. ability to rotate engine makes the job much easier. I install flywheel, coupler, cover, and misc. bolt ons just before install. either type lockwasher should be fine, as long as they will hold up to bolt torque."

Back